Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Proliant ML530 boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rragas

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2005
US
During boot ...
After successfully detecting scsi devices, the system just hangs. It does successfully detect the scsi devices, including the number of logical drives, but then the boot process just .. stops. The cursor sits there .. blinking .. waiting for .. what?

Question 1: During the boot process, what comes directly after detecting scsi devices?

Question 2: Any suggestions what I should look at?

Was there an operating system on this or have you just got it?

If you've just got it you will need SmartStart which is Compaq/HP's software for effectively configuring the server before you load an operating system onto it.

If this is the problem and you dont have a copy Ebay is a great place to look, i think something around version 4 or 5 will work with the ml530. Anything in V6 or 7 will be too new and might not work.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Thanks for the reply, Rob, but this was a previously functional machine running Server 2000.

Could there be a problem with the Windows startup? Is the OS startup next in line after scsi detection???

Hi again,

The OS startup is immediately after the scsi drive detection (where it does the initialising thing).

If you have the smartstart tools loaded to the HDD try pressing F10 (just after the scsi detection) to get into it.

If not, put the CD in and run the diagnostics. On another note, have you changed any hardware, we added 3GB of ram (1GB >> 4GB) and had to run smartstart (save and confirm hardware changes) to make the machine work properly on startup again.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back