Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Pentium 1 hard drive problems 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahoo

ISP
Jul 9, 2000
GB
I own a p1 100mhz and run it on windows 95.&nbsp;&nbsp;It has a 600mb hard drive and I have just installed a 6.4gb HDD. I have installed it as slave and it makes me partition it off as 4 1.5gb drives.<br>Is this because of my hardware or windows 95?<br>Is there any way i can make it become a full 6.4?<br>Will i be able to make it run as a 6.4 if i make it run a master instead of my 600mb?<br><br>Please help!!

When you go into FDISK does it ask you to enable large disk format? If so you need to answer YES.

What does the BIOS see it as? From the age of the machine I could see this as a potential problem with a drive of that size.<br>Also, if you are running first release of WIN 95, there was not FAT 32 support, which would limit you to 2 GIG per partition. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I think it is better to upgrade your OS to win98 but before&nbsp;&nbsp;you do that, try to use a third party hard disk partitioner eg. Partition Magic or ask the hard disk distributor/dealer to provide you the hard disk utility that comes from the manufacturer to solve your problem. Don't let this opportunity run over your head.Good Luck.

The other guys are pretty much right. It is the operating system that is not allowing the hard drive to be registared at it full capacity. Windows 95A does not have FAT32 so you are limited to 2.1 megabytes per partition. <br><br>The only other option is to upgrade the Operating system to Windows 95B or even Windows 98A or B. All three of these are FAT 32 compatiable.<br><br>By the way Partition Magic 5 can also convert your current 6.4 drive to FAT32 if you just upgrade the 600mb harddrive with the new Op Sys.<br><br>Cheers<br>Steve Walker <br>Brainbench <br>&quot;Most Valuable Professional&quot; for Computer Technicians

&nbsp;&nbsp;If it is a Western Digital hard drive, just use the EZ-BIOS program and it will allow a single large partiton or multiple partitions. I think some of the other hard drive manufacturers also offer a similar program. <br>Good luck.

I would suggest you to set your new disc as master since it is newer and most certainly faster. What does your bios present it as? 6.4 or less? Most people use award bios so try setting everything as &quot;auto&quot;. If it doesn´t work, try entering correct cylinders, heads and so on. (usually printed ontop of your harddrive or on a small piece of paper along with your new disc).<br><br>Don´t know if I remember this correctly but it can be worth a shot. You can check wheter you have win95a or b by looking in properties of &quot;my computer&quot;. If the version number contains a &quot;b&quot; you have osr2 (Win95B). if it doesn´t you have Osr1 (Win95A).<br><br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back