Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLD NT SL-1 sets, history question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonKapesMZ4

Programmer
Nov 28, 2010
US
What were the 2nd generation digital SL-1 sets from Northern Telecom called? They were the generation between the Wedge shaped SL-1 phones and the Aries Meridian One M2000 sets, probably dating from around 1984-88. They had Red LED lights and a standard HOLD and RLS key on the phones. Were they M1000 sets?

I am not referring the analog Unity sets, but digital sets that looked very similar to these.

Here is a link from ebay....can anyone identify these phones?

I reckon they are a Norstar/Compact (KeyPhone) sets M7XXX ?

Cheers!!

Those look like Vantage phones. Pre-Norstar key system analog phones with signalling on the second pair. Useless without the main cabinet.

I have a 1309. Digital display, handsfree built in, wired/programmed like a QSU61. Still working.

without seeing the bottom, those may have been for an SL-100

Thank you all for your responses.....

Nhphoneguy, So the 1309 phone is the generation of phones I am curious about.....there was also an 1109 and a few others in this series. Does anyone know what other phones were in this series?

I volunteered in a hospital during the early 1990's that used the wedge QSU phones throughout, but had a few of these 1000 sets in the executive areas....they have since upgraded to CS1000 and now have M2000 sets and M39XX sets throughout.

These M1000 sets are the forgotten ones. They had Red LED's next to each key, Norstar styled buttons, a dedicated Hold/RLS key, correct?

So in regards to the photos I sent you guys....the ebay sets, I am suspecting these to be Meridian Digital Centrex phones, pre M5XXX sets. Vantage were really ugly sets (in my opinion) that do not resemble anything of what Nortel did in the Norstar end or early Meridian One sets.....but I wonder if these phones in the pictures were a newer release of the Vantage sets?

Thanks for all of your comments.....

It looks as though there was a series of original Meridian sets....the M1009, M1109 and the M1309. Anyone have pictures of the M1009 and M1109? I am curious what these looked like.

The phones in your original post were definitely sets for the Vantage key system, Esprit Plus I think. But like you say, there was an older version that were a very different style, Vantage Modular sets.

Hi Stanley,

Thank you for your information.

You may really like this link I found about how to install the Vantage8 system....

By reading this PDF above, I found out there was a difference between the older and newer Vantage sets....the Modular ones do not resemble anything recently made by Nortel (I remember seeing these at some Builders Square Home Improvement stores back in the early 1990's)....but the Esprit sets resemble the early Meridian and Unity sets....rugged, durable matte finish, color coded RLS and HOLD keys and clear and clean feature button/labels. There is only one thing these phones is missing, Caller ID, which didn't come into play until the Norstar was introduced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back