Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Nortel Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burley

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
I have a bunch of Nortel Bay Stack 450-24t switches that were left over from a merger. I need to "break" in so I can remove all configurations and possibly use for a test enviroment. The password is long gone. I know with Cisco you can bypass the password if you are directly connected to the switch, does Nortel have something simular?

Thanks,
Burley

Thank you,
Burleyman

You can reset switch to default configuration if you stack it to other switch, with same firmware version and reset stack to default settings.

Thanks for the reply. I have about 10 of the nortel switches and I understand that if I stack them I can reset them, however, I don't have the login of password on any of them. Is there a way, like with Cisco, to "break" in and reset the switches, with out having to contact Nortel and have them rip me off to get into my own switches.

Thank you,
Burleyman

Use this procedure to reset a BPS/Baystack to default when password is lost, or if the unit will not boot correctly. This will only work if the unit can get past its POST. Note: This will erase all configuration
data.

From Console port (only)
Power up unit
During the first line of diag tests, Control C
Choose option "i" (erase)
Choose option "a" (run agent code)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back