Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old NetVista machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazerk

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
IBM NetVista - Model 6579-PDU - Windows 2000 - computer keeps rebooting itself. Does a scan disk on startup and shows no errors. Any ideas on this?

Sounds like either some major installation problem, a virus or spyware, or a hardware problem.. When did the problem first start happenening? What change(s) were made just before the reboots, etc began occuring?

Regardless, one of the first steps is to start the computer in safe mode:
If you have to, cancel the scan disk when it first begins to run (it tells you what to enter to exit it)
In order to run in safe mode, wait for the initial info black screen to give cpu/memory, etc info, then hit F8 until the machine gives a screen that asks you how you want to boot, select safe mode, and boot into Windows - Safe Mode. Basically, it will not load any of the services/startup stuff that is not 100% necessary for operation. This is good for checking to see if there is any malicious software causing it, b/c this will pretty much stop 100% of any malicious stuff from running. Of course, the screen won't be as pretty, as those drivers don't get initiated either.

Once in safe mode, you can do whatever checks you need to do. If it will boot into safe mode with no problems, then try doing a full system scan with at least one antivirus program.. If don't have one, you can download a free version that works pretty much as well as commercial ones. either of these two should work (I recommend AVG):
AVG antivirus free edition from Antivir Personal Edition from
Also, scan for spyware/adware with these:
Ad-aware se personal
Spybot Search and Destroy
And install Spywareblaster to prevent future installations of spyware/adware
You can download all of these from or in no time at all if you have broadband, and not terribly long for dial-up (shouldn't, at least)

Also, try scanning your system registry with a registry tool, such as RegScrubXP. This program will not work on Windows older than 2000 (to my knowledge). You can get it from the same 2 websites listed above.

If you have Norton SystemWorks, run all checks it has, such as the One button checkup, win doctor, and virus scan.

These are some options to try, b/c any of the problems that these can fix could cause the problem.

One other thing to check is this: Make sure that if you have an add-on video/display adapter installed that it is "seated" correctly - basically is it snug and installed correctly? Also, make sure you have the most current drivers for your adapter... most commonly or is where you would get your drivers, depending upon which manufacturer's chipset you have.

If you know of any specific changes you made, whether hardware or software, or know of anything you did on your computer just before this began happening, post that here for further suggestions.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

I have an old NetVista as well. I'm trying to do a new install of win2k and/or XP Pro and neither one will successfully boot once setup is done with it's copying. I've stripped all the hardware that is not essential to the boot process, but still, no love. I've adjusted every bios setting I could think of.
It hangs right at the win 2000 screen, and none of the safe modes will get it to boot. Come to think of it, I think it had the same problem when I installed win98 on it as well.

How can I track down the cause?

F-secure was a real troublemaker for me and the constant reboot syndrome.

CreamCake, what do you mean by your post?

Sometimes the cpu will reboot constantly, and sometimes it will just lock up at the windows 2000 splash screen; depending on the bios setting for APCI being enabled or disabled; but the end result is the same, can't get the OS to load.
I can boot with a floppy or the win2k cd.
Scandisk, chkdsk: OK
reformatted two different hard drives: both have same problem.

I just don't know what the F@#@ the problem could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back