Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Meridian in a 170 room motel

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtt

Vendor
Aug 8, 2008
US
Not sure whatr forum this belongs in. New customer small 170 room motel has an older Meridian OP11C. I am a MICS boy myself.

They have the older style Meridian sets installed and SL analog sets in the rooms. It has two large wall mounted clam shell cabinets that have button on the top left and right that you push in together then the cover lowers and can come off.They have a few issues but overall it looks like it is in good shape.

The Meridian Mail system is not being used by the guests but I dialed Ext-780 and it answered just fine I am PW locked out and since their renovation and staff changes they can not locate the ADMIN and user manuals.

All the manuals for the programming system itself are in the com closet and they have an old dot matrix and old style monochrome screen that I am not sure what is used for.Any ida what I am looking at?

They are considering replacement of this unit but if I could maintain it I would like to see if I could save them money. I am a very fast in the field learner.

They are telling me that they use to have voice mail and wake calling and call accounting etc..

The system has been in a locked com. closet and is in pretty goo shape with UPS power provided and pretty well maintained cabling. Looks like the local Telco must have installed this back in 1th 90's. Nor tel is still the system of choice with Embarq here in town.

My concern is of course learning curve time and availability of parts and tech support.

Any suggestions or resources?

Thanks!

BTW one of the first issues I was trying to solve was instructions for accessing VM Admin. With MICS I am use to entering the NAM or CP via a set for MB set up and PW reset.

Does the MM system use a set or the computer monitor to do these functions?

Do you have a resource for instructions or a manual that I could use. I looked on my usual place at pdf.textfiles.com but could not find one.

OVL000
>AX

then Ctrl-R and you should see the MerMail logon screen

To exit MerMail do Ctrl + ]

Find out the release of Mail and we can probably get you into it....but we cannot divulge password recovery methods on this forum. First place to look, under the keyboard.

I have PBX admin manuals and MerMail admin manuals on my web site. Or Nortel.com - but mine are probably easier to use and obtain.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

Thanks I sure do appreciate the help. I have a few pics of the system if you like I can send them to you via cell or email.

I will stop by there tomorrow and check these things out for you.

Dave
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas NV

Nah, pics won't do anything...they all look the same to us :)

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

I understand. I have been working on MICS and Partner for so long I feel the same way.

BTW how are the availibility of spare parts for these systems and do you have any history of the Meridian for example how far back do they go. This one had a stack of manuals dated back as far as 1995 and even a Meridian Mail feature guide video tape still in the wrapping.

I do have a Duvoice in stock that coudl act as the hospitality module in the event the MM does not offer wake up service and AA. That really is all this client wants along with some new analog SLS which I can get from Telematrix or Metroline.

Oh to give you a little more info on this site. This customer just bought a small motel building right next door and is going to merge the two together as one property.

They want to link the two buildings together via an underground feed and then of course add these additional ext. ports to the Meridian. This system currently has two of the large wall mounted cabinets. The botton one has most of the slots open which I would assume is expansion room for more ext. ports?

If you are MICS person meridian is like day and night.

A: walk away from this job because you will not learn this system over night.
B: get a sub contractor to help you out.

Thank you for your advice but I am researching this very carefully before I proceed.

I already have a a good understanding of how Meridian operates and have already found a host of manuals and support on line.

GHTROUT's web site "ghtrout.com" has a lot of valuable information that I have already reviewed.

If I can help this customer save money and teach my self a new platform then I am ready for the challange.

I am no spring chicken. I have been in the Telcom business for over 30 years.

i picked up the nortel line back in the late 70's so they have been around that long at least..

a pms system.. ie wake up, maid status check in check out would have been second party back then, is cdr working, several second party cdr boxes for hotel billing back then.. i was working for sprint back when that one was new.

ld 22
issp

will show the rls and patches

ld 22
slt

will show how many tn's you can use.. (does not usually match the number of vacant ports)

tons of used parts for sale for the older stuff

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

That is good to her. I will check this out I am heading out there again today.

I buy lots of parts for my MICS on eBay. What source are you using for parts? Metroline?

This is kinda like restoring old classic cars for me and I really enjoy the challange and of saving a good customer a ton of money considering the economy.

I am from the days of DOS so these manual commands are nto foreign to me. From what understand the "LD" command means to LOAD a program file?

On this coputer screen that sits next to the cabinet it has a " : " and not an arrow on the display.

To answer your question about the Hospitality program for wake up service etc. So far I can see they have docs that says Meridian Mail 12.

I do have Duvoice systems available that can be connected to any PBS or small key system. They have intigrated AA and Hospitality services.

In the old days the guest would pick up and dial a number for wake up calling and the operator would either write up a ticket and set a timer or manually enter a WU time from the operator console.

Their 2250 console has a button marked "wake up

Hey guys. back at the site. Here is what I found. I tried to logonto the screen and the only thing that is says is the word "MNEMONIC" that is a word from teh old days.

I tried to use the ">" and enter the commands you guys suggested but it keeps coming back with the same word.

That is were I was stopped. I turned the monitor on and off. It is connected inside the upper cabinet.

I did find the PW under the KB. It was kinda like finding the keys to the car under the sun visor! I won;t post it has the words ADMIN then 5 numbers then the word PASS then under that Ax8 VM.

I wondered if it had a hospitality program in it and when I dialed X-780 MM answered and asked for my room number. I was at X799 and of course I did not have the PW.

Any suggestions would be great.

P.S. When I left the screen also said "AUD000

logi admin return, it should come back with pass, then enter the 5 digits..

i have never had a nortel show the word MNEMONIC on the screen.. if the logi does not work, try help or ?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

btw the switch send > to denote command line, all commands, (including logi) are entered at command line
Code:
 logi John
PASS? xxxxx

>ld 20
REQ:

at that req prompt i could enter a prt return and get TYPE, no other command works in load 20 on that rls

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks I will stop by there today to try this. Do you offer and paid over the phone support? I would like to give this customer an answer as soon as possible about if thisshould be repaired or replaced. I feel it is just a matter of some minor programming issues.

If you do not provide over the phone support do you know who does?

Thanks John!

Dave
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas NV

You can get spare parts all day off ebay, especially these days with businesses closing.

if I were on a budget and had an old option 11 I would bring it up to speed with what I needed it for.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Thanks John. I just finished talking with GHTROUT.com while I was at the customer site. He offers over the phone tech assistance and has been a real treasure trove of information and his rates are very reasonable!

Ya GHtrout is a good resource. Has helped me out in these forums over the last couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back