Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old memory stick not working with new laptop Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatcal

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
Hi,

I bought a 256MB memory stick to add to my Dell Latitude 500Mhz laptop. It had an existing 128MB memory stick. When I added it to the empty slot, the system said memory was changed and said to click on F1 to shutdown. I swapped the positions of the memory sticks but that also didn't work. Now I am only running the new 256MB stick without the 128MB. How can I get both to work together?

THanks!

By the way, the message I get when both sticks are installed is:

"EDO memory was detected in Socket 0, nearest the cardbus slots."

"Strike the F1 key to shutdown."

Shutting down is the only option. Even if I click F2 to get to setup, it shows these messages first and wants to shutdown prior to taking to the setup utility (not that setup would help much probably anyways).

Thanks.

Coould be the 2 modules are not compatible with each other. What is the exact model number of the Notebook? shows a C500 and a D500 plus C510, C540, and D505.

It is Dell Laptop Cpx 500 Mhz. I put this in on crucial.com but am not sure I understand the results.

It says the following are compatible with my system:
256MB - CT184808 SDRAM, PC100 CL=2 Non-Parity
128MB - CT167817 SDRAM, PC100 CL=2 Non-Parity

The 128MB original has the following noted on it:
PC100-222-620
128MB, SYNCH, 100MHz, CL2

According to the specifications on ebay for the 256MB:
256MB SD RAM- 144pin SODIMM. Also compatible with with most laptops or notebooks using PC100 256MB 144pin SD RAM SODIMM memory.

Does that provide you what you ened to know? Thanks for your help.

It is one of the 133s that are compatible with many laptops using PC100, but not your Dell.

You really need the true PC100.

Hi bcastner,

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "it is one of the 133s that...". The 256MB works fine when it is run by itself. If I use the 128MB by itself, that is fine also. It's using both together that's the problem.

Apparently I got the wrong 256MB stick to work with the 128MB? Is this correct?

If so, what am I looking for when I buy a 256MB that will run with my existing 128MB?

Thanks.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "it is one of the 133s that...". The 256MB works fine when it is run by itself. If I use the 128MB by itself, that is fine also. It's using both together that's the problem.

Some PC133 memory modules will not work with others or even fall back to PC100 support.

Apparently I got the wrong 256MB stick to work with the 128MB? Is this correct?

Yes.

If so, what am I looking for when I buy a 256MB that will run with my existing 128MB?

Go with what or recommends, they know what Dell and the other makers put in. And go for the Lifetime warranty on it/them.

I ran into this problem a while back regarding memory. About eight months ago, I was informed that PC133 is no longer backwards compatible with PC100 and installation of a 133 module with a 100 module will more than likely cause a no boot condition. Each module will run individually, but not together.

This same problem now exist for desktops. Certain MB's will only run PC100. Installation of PC133 will cause a no boot, incorrect reading, crashes or in other words, bunches of problems. Been there and had that happened. I have a PC100 machine in my office that drove me nuts when I tried to upgrade with supposedly PC133 backwards compatible Crucial memory. I am not knowcking Crucial. I also tried it with Kingston with no luck also, until I fugured out the problem.

Hi there

Well issue is simple the RAM you got is not compatible with the MOBO of your laptop therefore all I would suggest you to check configurations of your laptop on this address and think over it once again that wether you got a right part for this right h/w or not.
The information I am giving you is for Dell Latitude C500 and I believe this is what you posess.

also try clearing NVRAM of your computer, by going through the section of Using System setup program - this will definetly help you in getting the resolution if you have right part.

Arnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back