Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old-ish form new records, no display!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronw

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
I have a created a database with roughy 1000 records. I have created a form etc. However when I added records to my contact_details tables (imported from excel) my form does not recognise the fact that there are more records. The form is based on this table.

Does anyone know what this is about? and how to remedy it?

TIA

Aron

Hi aron,

It sounds like some fields are not being imported.

Compare imported records with records that do display to find which fields are being omitted.

Regards,

Darrylle "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

Appreciated,

I don't think I was clear. I should see 1 of 10,000 records at the bottom of my form as that is the number-ish of records I have. However, no more records show since I created the form. So what I see is: 1 of 1030.

It is not just a few fields not importing properly, it appears to be the entire records.

Thanks for you help in other threads,

Aron

Aron,

When I said it sounds like some fields aren't being imported, I meant that the record is then discarded by the import process (due to field import errors).

What result do you get from a "Select *" query from the table?

Are all records returned?

If so, obviously the form is the prob.

a)What is the record source for this form - is it the table, or a query?

If it's the table - no prob.
If it's a query, then run the query - same result? i.e. showing ALL records - then not the prob. If it's losing records then check the criteria.

b)Has the form filter property got a value?
If so, is this the prob?

It sounds like there is some criteria somewhere that filters out dates after a certain date, that is if the records actually exist in your table.

This WILL be sorted out Aron - step by step.

Regards,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

O.K when I create a query purely based on my main tables, all 40,000 odd records show up.

When I create a query based on my main table and one of the other 2 or both only the 1000 show.

When I created my other 2 tables (not main) I manually copied and pasted in the ID (auto number PK) field in. I think this could be something to do with it.

Any ideas of how to remedy situation? I could just do the same and paste in ID upto the number of records in my main table. However when adding new records in future, I / they will encounter the same problem.

TIA

Aron

oh, and my form does not have a filter value.

Hi aron,

OK, so there are other tables involved in the query?

The problem is probably to do with keys, and it's the relationship between the tables that has probably been broken.

Can you list the fields in each of the tables (and the keys that relate them)?
[tt]
E.g. TableA
tableA_pk 'primary key

TableB
tableB_pk 'primary key
tableA_fk 'foreign key link to tableA
[/tt]
If the above tables were yours, then either the TableA_pk has changed in relation to the TableA_fk or vice versa (or both).
So when you run the query, Access can't find any TableB records related to TableA (except for your original 1000 which you already had).

When you import from Excel, you would let Access add the TableA pk (autonumber). When importing TableB records, you would copy the related TableA_pk into the TableB_fk field (via a query).
It really depends on what fields/relationships you have.

Regards,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

Thanks for your help, have been unemployeed for a bit, hence response time.

I got it the form to display all the new records. For some reason my main tables' auto number 'pk' was not automatically adding unique id's. So by copy and pasteing the ID field (which is the same in every table) from another table into the main one, it worked. I'm not sure if this is the correct method to use but it worked. Any thoughts?

I have a new issue however, similar but different. When working on records sometimes the data added to certain fields (random) does not save / update in the DB. I created a save command button and it is used everytime an alteration is made.

TIA

Aron (a little confused)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back