Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old IBM Ultrastar drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenhalo

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2008
US
Hey guys,

I bought an old eServer and it came with 2 removable hard drives... I am trying to install CentOS 4.4 and during the install it tells me that there are no hard disks detected (they are obviously there) and that I need to manually load the drivers. I have no idea where to get the drivers (I have googled until my fingers hurt)!!!!! The first HD is an IBM Ultrastar model: DDYS-T18350 and the other is an IBM ? model: ST318404LC... Both are SCSI drives that should automatically be recognized but they aren't. Just to make sure it wasn't Linux, I also tried installing WinXP and WinServer03 to no avail. Any help in finding these drivers would be GREATLY appreciated. I also tried calling IBM and of course that was no help. Thanks in advance guys!

Brad L. - MCP

"If the doctors told me I had 5 minutes to live, I would type faster.

Alright alright sounds like its worth a try to at least get a 68 pin scsi drive and see what that does...

Brad L. - MCP

I agree totally with edfair's assessment, reasoning, and plan of attack. Lots of excellent tips for you to follow up on. I still think it's a waste of time and resources to devote to a P3, but I know the tug of "the challenge".

A star to you Ed for your guidance and experience, which is priceless.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I agree edfair, thank you for the valuable responses, you have helped me dramatically... In fact, I want to give a star to all the users of tek-tips in general for helping me out through the multiple problems I have brought to these forums... THANKS!!!!!

Brad L. - MCP

I agree with Ed, that 'time is money' and sometimes it is best to cut one owns losses and keep on trucking, but I also know that 'bug' you have, about getting something running been there many times in the past...

PS: those funky connectors you mentioned that look like PCI connectors, well they are!

PCI I/0 slots (2); 2 64-bit/33MHz or 1 64-bit/66MHz and 1 64-bit/33MHz
source:

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back