Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old HDD new motherboard, Blue screen,win2000???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiijjiit

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
US
I updated my Processor and motherboard kept all original drive, vid card, sound card, ect. Now when I reboot says boot records canot be found and a few other things. Pretty sure its an easy fix just not sure where to begin. Any help would be great. Thanks

First you need to make sure the hard drive is recognized properly in BIOS setup.
Windows still thinks you're using your old drive, with the old chipset drivers, and because it's a different motherboard, the slots may even have different IRQ's assigned.
If the disk is properly recognized in BIOS, then boot to the Windows CD, and run a repair on the install.
If you can boot to safe mode, you could try removing everything from device manager first, and then restarting, it may get sorted. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

How would you upgrade a motherboard and Processor and still use you old drive. Is there something I should have done to the drive first to make it a more smooth instaall?

Yup.
Any time you do a major hardware change to an OS, you're going to have troubles with chipset drivers, and IRQ/resource assignments.
The easiest way in windows 9x/ME is to open regedit, and completely remove the ENUM key from HKLM.
In 2k/XP, boot to safe mode, and remove EVERYTHING from device mangler, shutdown, and move hardware.
If you can't get a boot after changing hardware, run a repair install over top of the existing one. This works in 99% of all cases, and there are exceptions that prove the rule. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

If you've already moved all the hardware, about all you can do is see if it will go into safe mode and remove the stuff from device mangler.
If you can't even get into safe mode, then you'll have to boot to the CD, and run a repair over top. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

This happened to me and i also posted it on a thread. I was told to do the repair on windows and it didnt work. I had to reformat(which was no big deal). Maybe you should try that.

well I did get it to boot up useing the info from this link But the only problem I'm still having is now it is saying that there is something that has not finished loading. when I try to do the repair install it starts to load something but doesnt finish and Im not sure what it is. I really dont want to reload windows.Everything works fine but I can not network.

Have you any more details (like what doesn't finish loading?).

Are there any clues in event viewer?

thats just it I have no idea, all would do is a window would pop up saying "windows is loading" then it would go away. It poped up like 4 or 5 times and that was it. Im figureing it had something to do with explorer or some kind of communication. because after I did the repair on windows it would come up when I tried to open explorer.
I didnt want to but insted of hacking it I just did the freah install and saved what I could. Everyone was a big help though.Thank You. I mean I did get w2k to work on the board but even out side of having that problem it was running really slow.

I know Comtech is a big believer in his method use in such cases, but honestly is it worth it? the problems you are experincing are typical, I know all advice you have been given is sound but with the best will in the world what should happen in theory often doesn't happen in practice, just format and clean install it'll save alot of grief in the long run.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Agreed, a clean install is always preferred, and a repair install may cause the computer to run terribly slow, among other things.
If there's any way you can save your data, and format/install, I would do it.
Some people just don't have that option, or think of it after the new hardware is installed, and the old hardware gone elsewhere. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Agreed,
clean install is the best way to go.
don't you just love windows?
sdhiram

[gorgeous] You could try to go to BIOS first to restore defaults and clear the NVRAM, then save the changes. Do this before other troubleshooting steps. It could also have something to do with different IRQ assignments, like what Comtech said.

ya I ghosted the hard drive before I did anything so I still have all the info just had to reload all the programs so they would reenter into the registrey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back