Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old HD can't see OS, can't load OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arden

Instructor
Aug 24, 2001
CA
I was upgrading a friend's computer from an old Compaq,
to PII, more memory, etc. All I wanted to do was move the HD to the new computer, it is 10 g and doesn't need to be changed. It wouldn't boot in the new box, message was no OS.
There is a partition on the drive, and all the data and OS are in one partition.

Tried reading the directory and it looked like hileragliphics (sp?)

When I boot the computer with another HD and slave the old one I can see everything.

Tried scandisk, defrag, tried re-installing windows, and it says it can't because there is a problem with the file directory that scandisk can't fix. Tried Norton, all of these programs fixed a little, but screwed things up enough that now the drive won't boot in the old computer.

What should I do? I don't want to lose the data on the old drive, didn't want to go looking for all the old drivers. Now I have a mess. Any suggestions?

'When I boot the computer with another HD and slave the old one I can see everything' - so my suggestion is to do just that - retrieve what you need to backup. Then, if you want o/s on it, wipe drive and start again. From what you've said, the o/s on it is unlikely to function properly again anyway.

I wonder if the BIOS isn't reading the drive properly. Go into the CMOS and see if it is being read as a 10gig drive.

More likely however is that the drive became damaged during the move. Best to do what Wolluf suggested and get the info off that drive.

I have successfully gotten the data off the drive, all is well. I came across this info, and think that the partition, and what Compaq has done in the loads is the problem...

"...Compaq has a proprietary bios partition on the hard drive (making a direct replacement difficult

Difficult, but not impossible. If you go to compaq's site, you can download the disks needed to set the Diagnostic Partition back up. You can even put it on a new drive if needed. Merry Christmas [santa]
Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

I have a similar problem with a HD that is fine if booting from floppy, but won't boot by itself. (The HD just goes into an infinte chatter.)
It would be grand if there was a real solution, and not "copy off and sub another drive". Part swapping isn't a fix in my book - not with cars nor computers, since it doesn't address the real problem of why this thing broke down and what do I do in the future if this happened...
Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back