Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old hard drive to new System, clone or other options? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallanparsons

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2011
US
I have a situation that I'm not quite sure on which way to go.

The owner of our company has an old pc that he uses for all his billing, accounting, etc. He uses some really old software that only works on XP, and he doesnt have the discs for anymore. He needs a new PC and hard drive, but doesnt want to lose any of his info.

I've thought about cloning the IDE drive to a SATA drive, but I know they'll be some issues with the hardware on the new system and the drivers on the image.

What are my other options here?

He's very picky, and just wants "everything transfered over just the way it is on a new PC." and im supposed to make it happen.

Anything like ghost or trueimage help with the driver issues? Never used either for a situation like this, so not sure how they handle it.

thanks guys!

I think your first step would be to see if you can even get a new system that xp will run on. No manufacturer are making XP drivers for new computers, it is considered a dead OS. So that's first, if you can get something that will support xp, the next part is easy. Don't worry about the drivers in an image, just use ghost, or whatever you like to clone the drive to the sata drive, install it in the new computer and do a repair install of xp, all of the data will be there, and all of the programs should work the same as before. If you screw up the repair install, you have the original drive to try it again.

I second rclarke. Repairing the windows installation should take care of most driver issues. Windows will likely use some generic drivers so not all features may be usable, but the system should still run.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

He's very picky, and just wants "everything transfered over just the way it is on a new PC."

Sounds like:
A) He needs some educating as to reality.
B) I might consider dumping him if he's too stubborn. It may bite YOU.

I bought this motherboard not too long ago - fully XP compliant. I'm running XP on it for an older sound card that has no other OS support. Nice board.

msi G31TM-P21

Then follow the "repair installation" instructions given by the other dudes.

Before you clone or image the drive do the following (on the OLD PC):

faq602-6735

then clone the drive over to the new one, set the SATA ports to LEGACY/IDE mode in the BIOS (do not forget to EXIT&SAVE)...

have your driver CD (for the new board) ready...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

One option you may want to explore is running XP as a virtual machine on another interface such as 7. M$ has a download page where you can get the virtual XP image that will run under 7 and it makes it really easy to install. You may be able to clone an image of the drive and get a copy of the applications to then run in this virtual environment.

On the expensive side of things you could use something like Shadowprotect by Storagecraft the PC version is an install like Ghost and will create an image. The good thing is that the image can be transferred to other hardware with little or no issues.

There is an IT version that rocks because it will do servers as well as PCs and can transfer between hardware. The down side is that the IT edition is very expensive, on sale now it is like $3500. You can get a two version of it for like $250. I worked for a company that had a subscription to it and let me tell you it saved my butt a few times.

For example, my parents had an older Dell Optiplex GX280 from about 2005 and my dad dropped a cup of coffee on the floor next to the computer and it fried the power supply. I pulled the hard drive out and dropped into an HP desktop, booted to the Storagecraft USB key ran the hardware independent reset, rebooted and the PC booted with no errors. The only thing I had to re-install after booting to Storagecraft was the video driver.

If you have client that is wants what he wants, have HIM pay for the software!

I know this is an expensive option, but the company I worked for had a few people that were like that and were willing to pony up the money. Just throwing it out there as an option.

Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

how about setting up a virtual machine on the newer windows os. i have windows 7 with an xp vmware. then move the data into the vm machine.

i am new to this stuff and am sure someone with more knowledge can give details.

Little update for those that are interested..

I tried the xp deal to repair it, but it wouldnt give me the option to repair.

The storagecraft software looked awesome, tried it, and its not booting up, says there is a problem with the hard drive configuration (not sure if thats the exact message)

But when trying to do the hardware independent restore the only driver it cant find is...

Serial ATA Controller:
Selected Driver:
No Driver Installed
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_04AD1028&REV_04
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Vendor Name(Short): Intel
Vendor Name(Full): Intel Corporation
Device ID: 0x1C02
Sub-System Device ID: 0x4AD
Sub-System Vendor ID: 0x1028
Revision: 0x4
Base Class Code: 0x1
Mass Storage Controller
Sub-Class Code: 0x6
Programming Interface: 0x1

any info on where i could get that?

Thanks for all the help!

If your trying a repair install was the old system setup on an intel based and new one AMD based?
If so you need to remove or rename two files on the old system
intelide.sys
intelppm.sys
Once done the repair install should be available you can do this by booting to either the recovery console or bart cd or with the drive connected as a secondary drive to another computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back