Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old foxpro database help me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMcG

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2000
IE
Hi all,<br><br>I recently started working for a freight company that has for that last few years provided a system for there customers that generated labels and prices for the goods that would be transported by us.<br><br>A few months ago one my companys customers came to our IT manager with a request for prices of each good to be transported to be printed out with the 'end of day' list of goods.<br><br>The request was granted and they got there prices, but they lost another part of the system that must have been coded along with the end of day printing system.<br><br>So now I have been givin the task of recifing this problem, but I really dont know where to start.<br><br>I do know a couple of things, I have the original and the updated versions of the file in question. This is *.FOX file.<br><br>If anyone could tell me what language there types of files are written in and where to learn about writing reports in this language I would be most gratefull.<br><br>Any help appreciated.<br><br>James<br><br>

The app is actully written on FoxBase+.<br><br>Still stuck though!

James, do you have the original .PRG source files?&nbsp;&nbsp;IIRC, the .FOX files are the tokenized versions, and are not editable.&nbsp;&nbsp;Or editible.&nbsp;&nbsp;Or edible.&nbsp;&nbsp;Whatever. <p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br>

I have some .PRG files, but I dont one matching the name of the file that was changed. could it be a different name?<br><br>Cheers.

It's <i>possible</i> it has a different name, but not likely, since Fox would give the FOX file the same name as the original PRG file by default.<br><br><font color=blue>So now I have been givin the task of recifing this problem, but I really dont know where to start.</font><br><br>So here's you chance to get out of the project.&nbsp;&nbsp;Without the source code, you can't make the changes.&nbsp;&nbsp;But if you really, really want to do this, you can get a decompiler like ReFox that should be able to recreate the PRG from the FOX file. <p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br>

I downloaded a demo of reFOX, it was limited to a certain number of lines of decompliation, but since it is a small file it decompiled the whole thing.<br><br>Do you know of any good site that have manuals or help files to try and learn the syntax of the code, it seems very abstact.<br><br>Thanks again for your help.<br><br>James

The original programmer <i>may</i> have put in comments in the source, but those won't be recreated from the decompilation.<br><br>I've tossed my Foxbase+ manuals many years ago, but maybe someone else here has some.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've never run across a Web site that had significant Foxbase material. <p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br>

I have searched all day for some kind of manual, anything will do at this stage.<br><br>As you have said the comments are deleted when a program is compiled, so its looking like this project is scrapped, well unless they want me to start guessing how it all works. Not likely.<br><br>Thanks for your time.<br>James

JamesMcG,<br><br>If you have Foxbase+ or maybe FoxPro for DOS, it has a help<br>system included which shows command syntax and samples on <br>the use of these commands. If your search for a manual <br>comes up zip, you can use this. Or you can use any old <br>dBase or Clipper manual, their program syntax is similar <br>(&quot;close enough for govt work&quot; ;.)<br><br>Good luck.

It's been a long time - but as I recall, Foxbase+ was merely a juiced-up version of dBase III.&nbsp;&nbsp;All Foxbase commands ran fine under 2.x.&nbsp;&nbsp;2.x introducted screen 'objects'.&nbsp;&nbsp;So, if you can't find a help file for Foxbase+, use FoxPro 2.x and ignore the screen and menu objects - that should get you close.&nbsp;&nbsp;But, in fact, why not recompile in Fox 2.6 dos?&nbsp;&nbsp;The Foxbase+ code will work and you won't have to worry about accidentally introducing newer commands.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>- Hank

I have a copy of fox pro 2.0 for dos on 5.25 floppies if it will help. This includes the distribution disks

I still work with FoxPlus. Its syntax is very dbase like.

I am retired and like to solve problems. If you send me the code I may be able to
get it working for you at NO COST or Obligation whatsoever. I need things to keep me occupied.

I do have the manuals but I stilll need them.

JamesMcG:

If this post is still &quot;live&quot; - (1) are you sure the data is in FoxPro (*.DBF extention) and (2) do you have access to ___any___ version of FoxPro, 2.0 - 6.0?

FredIsleib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back