Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old fashioned residential landline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoneguy09

Programmer
Mar 22, 2013
US
Is it still possible to get a standard telephone line at your house? like the old fashioned line that still worked if the regular power went out

call your service provider, depends on the area

in my area , no

but i know of some places about 2 hours out where thats still all they have

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

"Will work for stars

It's the only kind I can get, (insert Canada joke here). But I live in the country, any closer to town and I could have cable telephone, or fiber. We have cable for high speed internet but for some reason the service provider doesn't want to touch phone service, one of the few left.

These were the days:

bluebell.jpg

In the UK I'm sure all exchanges are backed up with a generator and the batteries are "smoothing" batteries to keep the knock over from Mains power to generator constant. The batteries are wet cells these days.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

some providers are no longer bringing in analog lines but provide a DsL and have an ATA at the end to provide you with dialtone.

That was mentioned in another thread somewhere and I was amazed by it.

Mountainbear, that will take another 10 - 15 years until that is available in Canada Eh! (I live near Toronto btw)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

Maybe he wants a party line to save money. They are long gone out here in BC.

The westi comment about dsl being brought in and a ata to break out the dial tone is crazy sounding to me, I guess whatever the carriers have to do to make it happen.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

Its actually no different than using an IP set on your companies PBX via your home DSL or using IAX.
Same as lines brought in on Cable TV....ATA in the end.

The original poster needs to post the city they are in otherwise that's like me asking if the local store sells lighter fluid.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Amen to that, we have all cable and fios out here (primarily cablevision). Even if you aren't ordering phone service and only Internet they still install the routers with 4 ata ports on them

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

"Will work for stars

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the feedback on here.

To answer curlycord's question about the area i am from; I live in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia. I just wanted to ask this question because although I know businesses in the area still often have copper dial tone, I have not seen a residential connection which supplies the same type of dial tone feed. Most every dial tone supplier for residential is either Comcast or some other company which uses a coax cable to supply the digital signal which feeds a modem in your own house. This modem relies on the power supply of the house and therefore allows you to lose any and all service if the power were to go out in your neighborhood.

They have the same here, you could always invest in a battery backup

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

"Will work for stars

It's possible, but highly unlikely. Our "POTS" service comes from a sub-station since we live 9 miles from the central office. It will work when the power goes out, just not as long as the main C.O. :)

LkEErie I think it died after about 6 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back