Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Dual Boot woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGClark

Technical User
Aug 19, 2000
US
I had my sons PC dual booting XP and WinME and then took the XP off (I guess the wrong way). Well, now when he starts PC up, it still gives him the choice of winXP and Windows (ME), if he doesn't select the 2nd choice of Windows, it will try to load XP and gets an error.
I have looked for the boot.ini file to try to resolve this but I guess WinME doesn't have one. I have also looked around in the "system info" that has all the items like "Startup", "win.ini" and all them tabs.
Any help out there? Or do I need to just format and re-install ME?

Thanks in advance :) Mike
ledzep@hot.rr.com

You can do this to restore an ME boot sector, so boot.ini will be ignored:-

Boot from ME boot floppy.
Save the file msdos.sys from root of C: to somewhere (eg, C:\windows\temp). You'll need to run attrib msdos.sys -s -h -r first. Then from A: prompt type sys C: (this will write ME boot sector). Now copy back the msdos.sys file you saved to root of C: (this may not be necessary with ME, it is with 95/8, but better safe than sorry).

Reboot - it should load straight into ME.

PS. Its always difficult removing a dual boot which uses NT/2k/XP boot menu.

Wow.. thanks Wolluf!! I will give it a shot right away and post the results.
Mike
ledzep@hot.rr.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back