Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old computer to 6 SATA server

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi03

Instructor
Jan 19, 2005
FI
Hi,

I have an old 1,3Ghz computer, that I would like to convert to mirror raided NAS, for 900Gb of data (including neat functions like skype phone online 24/7 etc.). I was wondering for my options.

- I have space limiting myself to use ordinary mini-atx tower instead of 5U racks (depth is too much). (currently I have 1x5,25" 1x3,5" external + 2x3,5" internal minitower). I also would like to get as low noise as possible, as it would reside in my livingroom.

1) first option I have in my mind is to buy a 6-ch SATA RAID PCI card and Intel's AXX6SATADB 6 internal SATA hotswap case. I could then cut a hole to my front panel for it and remove current internal 3,5" bays out of the way. What do you think, could this work? Does anyone have knowledge of Intel's AXX6SATADB hotswap case? Is it independent piece of equipment that can be applied to any case with a little case-mod? I could fit 6x300Gb Seagates in this and be :) .

2) Buyin a whole new tower. But I haven't seen anything that could fit in my corner-shelf and could hold up to 6 SATA disks - for resonable price for home use.

3) BTW, How much does 1 3,5" HDD consume power? 10W? My current power supply is only 150W, powering AMD Duron 1.3Ghz, low-end graphics, 2HDD's, and DVD burner (and 4xPapst fans). Do you think it would be enough for 4 more HDD's?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Artsi

This is the most that i have seen for a std tower.

5 SATA drives in 3 5.25 bays rack

If you have 4 5.25 bays you could opt for 2 3 in 2 racks like this.

these require no cutting or modding as they are designed to fit in 5.25 bays

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Sweet, I've never seen user-installable hot-swap backplanes like that. Do you know of any that are SATA 300 instead of 150?

artsi03

Thinking more about what you seem to be seeking, your stated space limits and intended use:

These racks are for DAS (direct attached storage) owing to their cost and that you really will be setting up as remote storage I would seriously consider a NAS(network attached storage) device and relagate your old PC to better uses. This approach relieves you from having to to establish the PC as a network member and the associated system maintenance as a NAS is reletively minium maint. You most probably would also require a new PSU as 150 is very low.

I think this will provide you with the most bang for your buck. They are compact and quiet.

Check for best price/storage size and other brands, but I have and can only recommend the Bufalo line see link:

Buffalo 1TB NAS

kmcferrin

Ya Know I never considered this, looking at mine(AMS brand), their backplane is a single pcb that appears to a simple power gang, data pass through board. No external SATA power connector, 2 4-pin molex. There are 5 SATA data ports that I believe are just pass through. This backplane allows the 5 drive trays to plug up to it. I don't think it cares. I also use a single type for IDE so I can swap OS's on same box and they are pass through. Will have to check the rate of the 5x sometime.

rvnguy

Thanks for the tips!

It's only that I have space limit to tower with max 3x5.25" slots and one of them should go for optical drive. So that leaves me 2 free 5.25" slots. I was hoping to get 6 SATA drives, and it would be impossible to fit to this.

True that cutting your case isn't one of my favorities in the first place. And if I ever want to sell my old computer, cutter tower isn't good.

Buffalos NAS is nice alright, but I can get the drive space for 1/2 of price if I just buy HDD's. Also, old computer as a NAS allows one to set up different applications on it, and have it work background with encoding/newsgroups etc.. So Buffalo (or similar) is just not enough.

Artsi

I have in my mind is to buy a 6-ch SATA RAID PCI card and Intel's AXX6SATADB 6 internal SATA hotswap case
Unless you have these already along with the drives I am not sure that your 1/2 the price estimate is correct.

I do understand your additional applications want, and you are correct in that the Buffalo will not do this but this was not specified in you initial post.

If you are setting this as a custom NAS, I do not see the reason for requiring a CD except for possibly the initial OS load, but after that there would be no need and all else could be loaded over your network.

Not sure of your current case dimensions, but there are many mini towers with the drive capacity you need as as a NAS they do not require the cage/rack to function. A new case would be much less than a hot-swap cage.

A six port(actually 8) 3ware SATA controller will set you back a bit.

rvnguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back