Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLD compaq RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

R121

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
GB
Can anyone please help me I have an ML370 Server with a 5 disk RAID set-up but one of the disks has just failed im not too fussed about my files because I have Full backups but my Exchange 5.5 Information store is also on the RAID disks. I am new to Compaq RAID set-ups so can anyone please guide me in the right direction would I be able to buy a matching HDD and just install that or will I have to do something to recreate the RAID set-up ????

PLS Im desperate

R121

Sorry forgot to mention I think I have a Compaq SmartArray 431 controller.

Alright, if you have a RAID5 setup you should be able to just swap-out the bad disk with a good one. I'm assuming it is not a hot-pluggable unit, so first power things down. The RAID partition should recognize the new drive and resync the partion. *J*

Hello byteya
I ejected the damaged HDD while the power was still on we run alot of real time share dealing apps I cant power down until Sat. I reinstalled the damaged HDD (Cant get a replacement untils thursday Thanks offkeymasterz for the advice) now I have 1 more problem I cant open smart array.

every time I go to Compaq Array Config Utils to see what is happening I get an error "Compaq Smart Array 431 was configured with a more recent version of Smart array util" but I cant find the New Smart array util installed is the Smart array util installed on the F10 part of the HDD. Can I download a new version of smart array and install without a reboot?

I haven't upgraded the Array Config Utils in quite a while so I'm not sure on the reboot or not. I usually run it right from the SmartStart CD (bootable). That might be why your versions don't match. It may have been configured that way.
*J*

Hello byteya I had a closer look at teh server as far as I can see the ACU software is on the F10 menu if I reboot but like you said I am going to reboot the server on sat and run off the latest Array Diag Util boot disks then replace the old HDD I am currently regenerating the old HDD back at the moment.

Thanks for all your help !!!

you should be able to buy an identical drive, stick it in, and the array will rebuild itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back