Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old CIsco 4000 Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBobBoDidley

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
Just got an OLD 4000 off of eBay and can't for the life of me get IP configured. No IOS, and can't get the TFTP connection to flash from. SH INT says "Ethernet 0 is up, line protocol is down". Going to CONFIG T, then INT ETHERNET0, what command do I have to issue to get IP enabled?

Feeling kinda dumb here, so please have mercy. Thanks.

If you do not have a valid boot image, you will be hating life soon. See the pasted document:

MikeS

Loading the Boot Image
If the router contains a valid boot image, it can be used to download a valid Cisco IOS Software image into the Flash using TFTP. To do this, perform the following steps:

Change the configuration register to boot the boot image by setting the configuration register as follows (depending on the prompt you have):
rommon 1 > confreg 0x2101
or
> o/r 0x2101
You must reset or power cycle for the new configuration to take effect.
!--- This is the router output when a confreg command is entered.
The configuration register has now been changed to boot the boot image.

Boot the boot image by resetting the router:
rommon 2 > reset
or

> i
The System Bootstrap message appears and the router boots its boot image. On the screen, you should see something like this:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(7)AX [kuong (7)AX], EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Copyright (c) 1994-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C1600 processor with 18432 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x4018060, size: 0x1da950

Restricted Rights Legend
You should now have a prompt similar to "Router(boot)>".

If you are still in ROMmon, that means your boot image is either missing or corrupted. If your router has no valid image in Flash or Bootflash, and no other ROMmon upgrade procedure, the only way to recover is to have a similar router with a compatible Flash card, download the image on that router, and then move the Flash card to the one that is stuck. Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the help!

So far, so good. I do appear to have a valid boot image. SH VER reports Bootstrap Version 9.1(1), System Bootstrap 4.6(1), running default software. Configuration register is 0x102.

SH INT says Ethernet 0 is up, line protocol is down. Same with Ethernet 1.

So, now that I appear to have a valid boot image, how do I vary on IP on E0/E1? I'm trying to get to my TFTP server to copy a boot image, but can't enable IP on the interface.

Suggestions anyone?

With the Ethernet interface showing UP and protocol down means that the interface isn't seeing any carrier.
To add IP to an interface is down like this:

R2#config terminal
R2(config)#interface ethernet0
R2(config-if)#ip address 10.1.2.2 255.255.255.0
R2(config-if)#no shut
R2 (config-if)#end

Todd VanDerwerken, CCNA, CCDA
Technical Consultant

assuming you have an np-2e or np-1e, you might have to tell which interface on the card you are using. once you are in the interface, type "media-type 10baset" if you are using the RJ-45 or "media-type AUI" if you are using the AUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back