Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old .bkf file restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

frelaxx

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2004
US
I am having an issue with old back up tapes from last year. The backup was a archived volume of D2D files (.bkf). Now I have restored the .bkf file and I am trying to catalog them. I inventory them and then when I try to catalog them it says that they are not inventoried. Any sugesstions? I have done the usual unchecking the "Use storage media-based catalogs" and the other suggestion on the Veritas site without success. Any help would be appreciated.

Also my catalog will always fail at the same size 21,385,134,883 is there a parameter I need to change? I have renamed the Catalogs folder several times and the same failure occurs.

Upgrade to 11d or put 11d on another workstation or server and copy the BKF files over to it(inventory and catalog). You can restore from an 11d media server to a 10d remote agent server.
In 11d goto tools - optiosn - catalog and uncheck the box to request all media. This will allow the catalogs to run and get a byte count. They will fail but you can restore from the bkf files. Ist never a good idea to backup .bkf file. You should have been running duplicate jobs. In 10d you have to have the entire media family online. If one bkf is overwritten or you dont have the all the media family present..becuase your jobs were most likely append/overwrite its never going to catalog in 10d. By design

<-10d

Thanks steveot

I will give that a go and hopefully I can get it back.

I'm also have similar issue using BackupExec 10d with B2D folder. I restored .bkf from tape to USB drive, unfortunately it's one large file. I only need 2 directories from the backup and I have inventoried and cataloged. However, since I've started the restore from this file on the USB drive, under Job Monitor, it's still saying "Loading Media" under "Job Status" column with still no byte count??? The bkf file is just over 273GB, so should this delay be expected? I'm not getting any errors, but concerned that I'm not seeing any byte count from my restore job? The data I need is listed when I go in under "Devices" and click on Backup-to-Disk folder and select "Restore"....I click on the 2 folders I need, yet I'm not seeing anything yet?

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back