Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old 5.5 server not on domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2002
US
Question for you guys.

I still have my old Exchange 5.5 server hanging around. During my migration to 2003 a few years ago the 5.5 server crapped out on me. We were able to get it back up and running then and got the data off. Since then all is fine on 2003.

My question is that I still have this server and there is data on it. I was able to connect to it with a laptop while it was alone on it's own little network a long time ago. A user has requested some data that may be one there but I can't connect to it any longer. The services won't even start and since then it was a test bed for something at one point. It's sitting in a workgroup now. Is there a way to access the data on there? The store are there and the logs are still there as well. How can I access it if it's in a workgroup is it even possible?

Again I just want to see if the data this user is requesting is there as well as do a final create to PST everything before I terminate this box.

Thanks in advance.

Noc

Hi!
What is the OS of the Exchange 5.5 and what type of Domain was it previously member of – NT4.0, AD 2000 or AD2003 ?

forum.gif
NetoMeter

This current OS is 2000 server upgraded from NT4.0

It was on a 2000 domain in mixed mode before the migration back then. During that migration it crashed so we recreated the server and recoved the data and sent it to the new server via PST. But at that time it was easier to readd the server back to the doamin. Now I don't think I can do that due to the fact that we are in 2003 AD now running exchange 2003.

What I'm trying to do now is create a domain with the same name and see if I can add the server to it. There are no mailboxs all that was migrated I am trying to access the left over data from public folders.

The problem I'm running into is the domain name. I had inherited the doamin 5 years ago that was all NT but get this the name of the domain back then had a .COM in it. I was baffled that whoever set that up did it in that fassion. So when creating the domain now netBIOS does not like the .com I'm trying to make it. So right now I trying to install NT4.0 :( as the DC and name it with the .com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back