Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLAP Cube -Design storage process

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcdzac

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
US
I created a cube with 40 dimensions. This is designed in star schema. The fact table size is around 4GB and the dimension table is around 500MB.Fact table has around 25 million records and 20 dimensions are derived from
that.
The design storage process was running for the last two days. It created
only 5000 aggregations and took 10MB.
It should create more aggregations. I stopped the design storage and tried
to save. Then I got the following error.

"Saving the partition design failed with following error.The operation
requested by the application is not allowed in this context"

What might be the problem?

Also, another problem is ,When I am working on the cube(ex. while design storage processing) others can't create or edit a cube in the server in same
database and different databases.

Is there any setting problems in the server?

Please do help me with these.All ideas are welcome.

first problems happens sometimes when you stop the processing of a big olap database (according my own experience). I think it is enough to close and open the OLAP console. If it doesn't help , maybe restart the computer will help. I think but I am not sure - this is not a problem of the dso but of the console because it never happened when I processed cubes non via console but programmatically. I design storage of my OLAP Db in special component and not via the console because my product requires this.

second problem I don't think you can do something because in such way the olap console is working...

please, let me know if this helped you...
my best regards

Issahar Gourfinkel
senior software engineer
Softwatch LTD
Israel

Hi,

About your first problem!
How big design storage were you making?
I had the same problems!
I solved it by creating very small amount of aggregations!
That means your query's will be slower than before, but after running the most often used query's you have to do the optimization - usage-based optimatization and then only the aggregates you need will be created!

And then you run this usage-based optimization about once a week!

This was the best solution in my case!
I hope this helps you1

Bye
Andrej

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back