Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OL2000 without EX2000?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibbet

MIS
Jan 8, 2002
NL
This may sound pretty dumb, but at the elementary school where I work we have a large number of PC's running on W2k, with Outlook2000. We don't have Exchange2000, and I was just wondering if it is possible to change the default location of the mailbox for an account? Problem is, when I start OL2000 on another machine (which happens quite often) I don't get al my messages previously read on other PC's. And getting Exchange to do this involves buying it (no problemo), getting it to work (hmmm) and administrating it (bummer!) Why is it not possible to tell OL2000 that my mailbox resides on a server??? Sound like to simple a solution ;-)
Thanx from a desparate dutchman!

"forget about gravity! The earth just sucks!"

Sounds like you are using the POP protocol instead of IMAP to download your Internet Mail messages. If that is the case then the messages are getting downloaded to a personal folder file on a machine.

If you click on HELP and ABOUT is the Outlook installation for Corporate Workgroup or for Internet Mail? From my understanding IMAP for internet mail service should be available but only for the Internet Mail installation version of Outlook.

The Corporate Workgroup installation only has POP available and the only option that would be available to use is the "Leave copy of message on the server" option. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I've dug up some reading for you. If you are so inclined:

OL2000: What Setup Option Should I Choose When I Install Outlook
OL2000: Switching from One Installation Type to Another
OL2000: (IMO) Switch from IMO to CW Does Not Transfer Account
OL2000: (CW) How to Move Your Personal Folders File to a Network Server

Good Luck
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Super duper guys!
Solved the problem! switched pst file to server, and mapped OL2000 to the server.

Thanx!
T.

You don't have to buy exchange to do that...

I presume you have roaming profiles, so you just have (for each user) to create a folder on the PDC (or any file server), map permanently a network drive (for example Z:) on it, then in Outlook create a new personal folder located in this new network drive.

You can log on any machine : your personal folder will always be the same, so your mailbox will follow you too...

Hope this can help
Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back