Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OL 98 IPF outllib.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalypsoPoet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
US
Exchange 5.5 with latest SP, McAfee Total Defense w/ latest .DAT loaded, Win 98 on client w/Outlook 98 and VirusScan. GroupShield configured on server to send Alert.txt when infected attachment discovered. When user clicks on an E-mail message that had a once-infected attachment, instead of getting the alert.txt message attachment(or being prompted to open or save the attached message)an Illegal Operation error is generated. Details - Outlook caused an invalid page fault in Module outllib.dll @0167:6e55955c. I have no problems when I add this user's profile to my machine (running Win2K and OL XP). User only has this problem when trying to read an E-mail with an Alert.txt attachment. Checked MS knowledge base and technet - nothing really matches up. Any ideas?

We have seen this error from time to time. Have you tried replacing the .dll with another copy or at least compare it to the file on machine where it works without a problem? Or tried deleting the profile and creating a new one on the problem machine?

Well, we have recreated the profile, uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook, even re-imaged the machine. All with the same outcome. Funny thing is, we created this user's (A) profile on another machine that had the same configuration. The user(B) on this machine had experienced no problems with Outlook. The error occurred when opening user(A)'s profile. The error did not occur when opening User(B)'s account. I even deleted her exchange account and created a new one. I have not compared .dll files but the fact that this occurred on 2 separate machines seems to indicate the problem rests in her account. The error message, on the other hand, suggests a local problem - especially since her Exchange account was deleted and re-created. I think the next step is to find wall and bang head.

Was curious if the 98 machine is setup so that User Profile is set to be used locally or is it using a network profile? What I am getting at is if there is a copy of the clients registry (user.dat) on a home network drive that is getting copied to the clients machine when they logon to the reimaged machine. If the User Profile on the 98 machine is set to All Users use the same profile then that probably is not the issue.

You may want to try using tools like filemon and regmon to see what is going on in the background and maybe narrow down your issue. You can find them at and they are free.

Another free tool is Depends utility which shows all the DLL dependencies and also gives you another perspective of what is going on in the background with the DLL files. This one you can find at and is also free.

Hopefully one of these tools can save you some bumps to the noggin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back