Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OK to swap CD-ROM data cable for second HD? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmomaz1234

Programmer
Jul 2, 2003
US
My machine, win98se, has a CD-ROM, CD-BURNER, HD and floppy. I have another HD which I replaced for a larger HD a few months ago and would like to use it b/c the exiting HDlost the boot record. (I works, but was too small.)

Can I unplug my CD-ROM and use it's data wire on this old HD. (Ignore physical sizes etc.) As I remember the two CD units are master/slave to each other and the HD floppy are master/slaved? (This is the machine that lost the boot record and i'm at the library.)

I would then make the old HD the boot disk and have a running machine with (hopefully) access to all the data on the HD that won't boot. am I an the right track?????

this would be a temporary situation, so i could leave the HD outside the cases.
thanks for your suggestions

Go for it.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks Ed .. I will .. I'm busy rest of this week, so I'll rip into it next week.

Just one of the things I like about this site - I often get the answer to my question before I ask it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back