Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ok, so there was an error, I want the batch file to continue. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhondaJC

Technical User
May 3, 2002
US
I have created a batch file to remotely restart all the PCs on our network at 11:50 pm each night. I created the batch file, then set up a Task in Task Scheduler to accomplish this using shutdown.exe from the Win2K Resource Kit.

The only problem I'm running into, is if a user has powered off their PC, then Windows returns an error screen, and my batch file stops.

What can I put in the batch file that says, "That's ok, I didn't really need to reboot that PC, please move to the next line in the batch file and continue."

:-D
Rhonda

Sorry Wolluf, it didn't work.

Your turn Vince. :)

From the looks of the version numbers, there is a big difference between the Win2K Resource Kit file and the XP file. Does the XP version come with the OS, or is it also a Resource Kit file?

I'm also curious about using the "-", rather than "/". What's the difference? Also, where can I go to see explanations of the syntax you're suggesting?

Rhonda

Rhonda,

If you just run shutdown /? gives you help on syntax.

PS. If this version doesn't work either, have a look here - ls-tools.zip includes an app called Down with which (so it says) you can also reboot remote machines. Might be worth a look.

shutdown.exe comes with XP. It is in the %systemroot%\system32 folder. shutdown /? should show you all the switches. Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Vince,

Thanks very much. Worked like a charm.

:->
Rhonda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back