Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ok, now I've done it....pop up killer causing trouble with IE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreeze

Technical User
Jun 15, 2001
US
I installed a program the other day and it had a pop up blocker attached to it. I uninstalled the software, but I guess it didn't lose the Popup Blocker. When I go to a site like ESPN, some of the pictures won't show, pop ups show as a transparent window, weird stuff like that. Here's my problem. I can't find the name of this pop up blocker and it's not in the add/remove software list. I even tried to reinstall the software, but I can't seem to find where the stupid thing is to reinstall the popup killer. I gotta stop doing this stuff at 3am :) On top of that, it appears my system restore isn't working because whenever I go to it, I get this error "The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll"

Anyone have a clue? Or is it trash and reload time?

Thanks!

-=Rob

Sounds like you chopped it up on the way out the door. Try downloading this:
This is called Smart Uninstaller...does a great job of removing fragments of old progs and finishing what we sometimes leave unfinished. Pop-up stoppers are bad about doing what it sounds like yours is doing. Post back if you still can't get relief...

You may have to install it again & then uninstall .

AS far as the procedure entry point error you are getting that is telling you that the current version of Winsta.dll is the wrong version as the command RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore is missing from the DLL file. You should check if you have other versions of the file. You can use Dependcy Walker to look at a DLL file to see if it contains the referred to entry point to see if you have the correct version of the DLL file it needs.

For the pop up issue did you already try disabling third party extensions in the browser? Just a guess.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I downloaded zeroads after going with cable for internet recently. When I log into my work acct through microsoft outlook, it opens my acct but will not let me read my mail even though it appears on the screen. The only thing I can do to my mail is to delete it. Help the mail is building up and I am off campus for awhile! Thanks.

Where do I go to disable 3rd party extensions? Want to be sure cuase I don't want this to get worse LOL!

-=Rob

Ok, I tried Netscape and still had a problem. I also tried turning off 3rd party extensions and that didn't help either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-=Rob

Well done!

I cleared the HOSTS file and everything seems fine.

THANKS!

-=Rob

Good news Rob , thanks for letting us know .

I am having the same problem "The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll" as Mr. Breeze. Have read the threads but cannot seem to find the "magic key" to solve this problem. Had SpyBot installed but uninstalled it to no avail.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

I did go to this link as suggested earlier in the thread. Nothing contained there seemed to help. I get the error twice: When I right click on "My computer" and go to "properties" and also when I try to invoke system restore from msconfig except there the error is not a rundll.exe error. It is an rstrui.exe error (followed by the same "Prodcedure entry point...." notice. I have used the WIN XP repair console (chkdsk /r) and have also installed XP back over itself from the install disk all to no avail. Short of reformatting my disk and starting over, I was hoping to find the cure for this ailment. Mr. Breeze did something that worked...I'd like to know what he finally did.

Thanks!

I cleared the HOSTS file and I still have this persistent problem. I am guessing the evils lie deeper within the system. Heading for the reinstall routine if I can't get ths solved within the next hour or so.

Thanks

rg

GOT IT! After a lot of digging, I found out that XP SP1a was the fix to this whole mess. It took a while to load and install (hour+ or so) but it was far easier than reinstalling Windows and all of my aps.

rg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back