Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ok... I need help placing multiple text files

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenetyson

Technical User
Aug 21, 2007
IE
Not that I can't do it, it's easy. But I have about 100 text files to go into one document. I can multi-place them and load them into the cursor, that's not a problem, that's easy. How can I link all my text boxes while placing the multiple files though. Or can you, am I wasting my time looking for this answer? I don't want a plugin or script, I want to know if it's possible in InDesign CS3.

Thanks

RTF

I know I could copy and paste them all into one big file, but I don't want to. I would love to find a way of linking the placing of the files.

Linked text boxes are linked to join a story. It appears that you seek one long story, which requires one big text file.

There should be automated methods where RTF files could be joined. I recall MS Office once had a binder feature similar to InDesign's book feature. That might make your compiled RTF file.

Yeh I just thought that I could load up my cursor with text files and then have all the stories link, but it doesn't appear you can... good to get confirmation on it though. I have it done by hand now anyway thanks though.

There's an app for windows for merging rtf and word files called Monkey Merge iirc. I haven't found one for mac yet.

It was a more a curiousity thing to do with InDesign rather than finding a 3rd party piece of software to do the job. But thanks, I'm sure others may find that useful to know.

Yeah I'm afraid I've nothing to add on the InDesign front on that point! Another one for Adobe's CS4 suggestions bit bucket...

Absolutely... I'm not sure how relevant it is to other users though. I'm just converting a 3,200 page Ventura book into InDesign.... Yipeeeeeee, thank heavens it's the weekend. I'm nearly finished though, not a bad weeks work. GREP has basically formatted most of it for me... so wahoo. Well i had to tell GREP what to format, but it's awesomely powerful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back