Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ok, I found an older post regarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

symbiotic

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
GB
Ok, I found an older post regarding this issue.

using mount -t smbfs -o username //server/share /mnt-point

It appears to try really hard to log on, then dies with:

"smbfs filesystem not supported by kernel"

Which I guess means that my kernel wasn't compiled with some code or another. Not wanting to bother trying to recompile my kernel in my infant state of linux ability, I tried playing with smbclient.
I can get smbclient to connect, show me a list of shares, even get a windows prompt, but I can't figure out how to use it to (or if I even can use it to) mount a network drive.

Howdy symbiotic.

Have you tried the smbmount command? I use smbmount to connect to all of my windows shares.

Use the syntax: [root@xxxx]# smbmount //servername/sharename /home/jsmith/backup -o username=administrator,password=password

I'm not exactly sure of the syntax, I've got mine in a script and thus have forgotten the exact syntax. The above command would map the share 'sharename' on 'servername' to the directory /home/jsmith/backup. Then just backup your DB to /home/jsmith/backup of course. When I get into the office I'll check out the script, mail me if you need the syntax I'm using :)

HTH.

Regards,

silentrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back