Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ok, here's the situation... I cr 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anywhereigo

Technical User
Nov 22, 2001
CA
I need help. Here's the situation...I created a background image (size is 800x600) from photoshop with the intention of having a banner space on top and navigational link on the left side. I then used it as a background image in my dreamweaver page and inserted flash buttons on certain areas of background image.

My problem is, the background image seems to tile when the body of the page increases as I type my text or pictures. Meaning, the background image re-appears at the bottom of the screen. How do I prevent this? Or is there any technique in doing so?

Much appreciated...
Rob

Write a style sheet to keep the background from tiling like this:

<STYLE TYPE=&quot;text/css&quot;>
<!--
BODY {background-image: url(background.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat}
-->
</STYLE>

Somtimes the CSS tag for background-image don't work, you can also try entering this in the <BODY> tag:

<BODY background=&quot;image.jpg&quot; bgproperties=&quot;fixed&quot;>
This will create a seamless effect to you're site... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

<STYLE TYPE=&quot;text/css&quot;>

<!--

BODY { background-image: url(imagesname.jpg) }

BODY { background-repeat: no-repeat }

-->

</STYLE>

hope this works for you

Thanks for your reply. Let me respond back how did it affect my initial problem:

- the bgproperties=&quot;fixed&quot; makes the page like &quot;floating&quot;, which unfortunately not that I wanted. Thanks for the idea anyway... I appreciate it! I can certainly use this technique in other scenario.

- CSS style works great and that was really the solution.

However, I faced with another problem. The background that I created has blank button images on it and my intention is to insert flash buttons on right on to these blank button images. BUT when I display it on the browser, the flash buttons did not appear on the spot where I wanted it to be. It appears to be all centered and aligned in Dreamweaver but not when you preview in browser. I set all the margins to 0 but did not solve the problem.

Thanks,
Rob

hi rob,

i am facing the same problem, that's why you notice not too many websites use a background. not to mention all those different margins between NN and IE. NN6 is the worst! (just my personal opinion). tidious adjustments are needed to get it right (there might be better solutions that i just don't know of).

give the followings some tries, hope one will solve your problem:

1. adjust the alignment in the table boxes where you place those flash buttons.

or

2. try to fixate your table size by pixel instead of percentage. let say your site is 800x600, in property type 800 width and 600 height. then when you are adjusting the row height after you've placed your buttons in there, try to move them slightly and best from either the top or the bottom of the table. i found this helpful cause i am able to achieve WYSIWYG.

hope this helps!

peace,
sistamulan have a very merry christmas and prosperous new year!
love and peace, sistamulan

Hi Sistamulan,

Thanks for your thoughts. Manually adjusting the tables solved it.

Thanks,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back