Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OK, Have two win2k servers both ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechJones

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
GB
OK,
Have two win2k servers both had AD installed. one of the servers AD became corrupt after installing a program and would not start AD. The machine that became corrupt does not have a tape drive and there was no system state backup taken on that machine.
The machine that is still working has a system state back up and is still working fine.
Q, do I have to re-build the corrupt machine or is there any way I can replicate the AD from the good one.
Any other suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Gary.

JUst reinstall Windows 2000 and run DCpromo. The domain info. and Active Directory will automatically be replicated to the server. The DHCP Settings and all other services will have to be reinstalled.

Thanks...
I presume that you mean I can install over the top in order to keep data and programs?
Thanks again.
Gary

NO you wont be able to run DCpromo over the top. You can run DCpromo to make the machine a non 2000 DC and then re-run DC promo to make it a 2000 DC again BUT there are problems with doing that way your best bet is to take the server of offline and re-install the entire server then run DC promo to make it a DC.

Have you removed the problem app? What app was it? You might be able to do an authorities restore on the corrupt server from the working server.

Judging by your backups the corrupt server was NOT the first server in the domain was it? If it was than DONT reformat the server because is has the FSMO roles.

The corrupt server was the second so the FSMO roles are all on the good one.
The app was Metaframe XP which is accepting connections even though the server is only booted in directory restore mode. Problem is it won't boot any other way because of the AD corruption and I can't run DCpromo in AD restore mode in order to remove AD. looks like I am gonna have to wipe it and start again...
Gary

You should be able to get into safemode because AD services are not avalable and you may be able to remove meta XP.

I have actualy started to format it now .Didn't try safe mode. for future ref though do you know if I could have run DCpromo in safe mode.
Gary

NO in safe mode all Active Directory services are not avalable but you possably could of removed Meta XP.

what you should do after you rebuild the server and install all apps and AD make a system state backup of the server to local HDD and then move the image to a networked computer. I know its know its not the best backup method around but some form of backup is better than no backup !

GOOD LUCK !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back