Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OH MY God!! Database Gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat1967

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
I dont even know where to begin.

I was writing a loop function in a module and executed it in the immediate window to see what was happening. Well, it went into an infinate loop. I hit break and the code stopped. I decided to save the module, go to lunch, and try again later.

Now, when I open the database, NOTHING!! no database window, no nothing. I opened it again holding the shift key (just to see), NOTHING! The file on the hard drive shows 4.5 meg which is what it should be.

I have tried import the database to another mdb but nothing shows up there either. Its as if the database exist but as soon as it opens, it closes again instantly. Any suggestions on how to get the database back? I am at a big loss. I have never seen anything like this nor do I know what caused it.

any and all suggestions are needed. Have A Great Day!!!,

Nathan
Senior Test Lead

I am sure that you have done this already but have you tried rebooting your computer? Regards,
gkprogrammer

Try hitting F11 to show the database window. _________
Rott Paws

...It's not a bug. It's an undocumented feature!!!

Hello everybody,
In the year 2000 my predecessor created(in Access 97) Access database files on a drive Q:

This I know is nonexistant, since I have already mapped
the drive to open the appropriate folder where these files are suppose to reside.
I see the files there and then I convert them to Access 2000 (via the Tools, database utilities,etc...)

Anyway, when I open the converted file I get a message saying that it is not a valid path. please be sure that the path is spelled correctly and that you have connected to the server on which the file resides.

I am on the only server that we have, if unless its on a workstaion hard drive?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

cyberslug,

You should reserve any responses that you post to this thread to be about this thread, if you have any questions of your own please start your own thread in the forum so that your question may be answered. Regards,
gkprogrammer

Hi everyone,

I have re-booted, "detect - repair", f11, and every other key on the keyboard. It just doesnt make sense.

My file shows 4.5 meg. When I click on it, the Access application window opens but is blank. I mean nothing but a toolbar at the top. Its as if the application started but there was data for the application to show. hmmm...

I tried creating a new database and importing. However, when I select the "old" database as the source, again nothing. Its as if there is just nothing there.

all the other database files on my computer open just fine. Its just this one.

any other ideas on how to recover these forms and modules? I am at a total loss. Have A Great Day!!!,

Nathan
Senior Test Lead

My next guess would have been to try creating a new db and attempt to import from the old, but you covered that already.

I'm stumped. Sorry. And good luck. _________
Rott Paws

...It's not a bug. It's an undocumented feature!!!

Get in touch with PK solutions, if you get really desperate. They should be able to bail you out, though it won't be for free.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Hi JeremyNYC,

How do I find PK? you have a website maybe?

RottPaws, i am stumped also. Have A Great Day!!!,

Nathan
Senior Test Lead

I don't know if this will help, but when you open it, see if there's a scroll bar on the right. I had gotten a blank screen like what you're describing, and it turned out, for some reason, that it was hidden under the top of the screen. I scrolled down, and there it was.

Linda Adams
Linda Adams/Emory Hackman Official Web site Official web site for actor David Hedison:

hi jwag,

Thanks for the cool utility. It was on the website you referenced.

The utility did as it should and created another copy of the database after running. However, the new database has the same 'ol problem as the original. it opens the the application gray window. :(

still stuck... Have A Great Day!!!,

Nathan
Senior Test Lead

What was your original code set up to do?

What happens if you try and access the database from code in another database?

EG Can you attach to the databases querydefs from another database?

Nathan,

Out of interest, can you paste the loop function you were testing that caused this problem in the first place. it might give someone an idea what to suggest next.

When you open this DB and get the grey window, if the DB's name appears in the recently used file list, click on that, see if that's any help.

One other thing, in TOOLS|OPTIONS try checking "Show Hidden Objects".

Lastly, try opening Access and compact and repair it into another DB, try opening that and look at the file size of the new DB, it should be smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back