Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oh Dear! And the general IQ drops another level, ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHirst

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2001
GB
... I do fear that the world is steadily dropping back to where all communication will be monosyllabic with numerals representing entire words or phrases.

Marketing message just received from Pizza Hut

Which is it 241 or 33% off..?

And of course does appear to indicate that their mathematics are also somewhat awry.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

<off in the weeds>
Here's a BC comic for you.

On the only "IQ" test I took, I scored a <5. The test was geared towards inner city elementary age children and I was a teenager in the country. It was the teacher's way of showing us that not all tests are equal. If I remember correctly, some of the students who usually got D's and F's in English and math scored the highest on this test. [ponder]
</off in the weeds>

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Nice, to expand on the scholarship that would have saved me 1 or 2 semesters of studying math, it was bound to a weekly course I stopped taking after the first half year, that would have lasted 6 school years. So you wouldn't have skipped the semesters just because of the IQ and depending on your learning success you would already have learned 1st and maybe also 2nd semester math.

Skipping a class or semester without learning the subject matter would surely be trusting too much in just the IQ. You still have to learn...

Bye, Olaf.

johnherman said:
The people who wrote the test for MENSA wrote questions to measure Intelligence as defined by them.

If I remember correctly, the MENSA test I took was a collection of several standardized intelligence tests, not a bunch of questions created by MENSA. It was a long test and proctored by a single person that came to my apartment and watched me like a hawk for the hours that it took to complete. The results were reported as three different scores for three different standardized tests.

If the MENSA test was an selection of questions from other tests, it further lends creedence to the notion that the test is measuring intelligence *as defined by MENSA* - MENSA chose what questions to include and which to exclude.

==================================
adaptive uber data solutions for info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

You say that like it's a bad thing. They actually appear to be very objective and open to test results from many sources. MENSA accepts results from several other standardized, supervised tests.

As for their test, from this site ([URL unfurl="true"]http://www.us.mensa.org/join/testing/[/url])...

[URL unfurl="true" said:
http://www.us.mensa.org/join/testing/[/URL]]It is important to note that our tests are given for the purpose of admission into Mensa and not to quantify intelligence. A qualifying score indicates that you've tested at, or better than, 98 percent of the general population.

More on how they evaluate test results.

MENSA's acceptance of results from several (but not all) other standardized tests is further indication that they are providing their definition of intelligence. I don't have a problem with them setting standards for admission to their private club, associaion, society, or whatever they call themselves. However, if they attempt to influence or set standards for the general public based on their definition, then I have a serious problem with their perspective.

==================================
adaptive uber data solutions for info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

johnherman said:
However, if they attempt to influence or set standards for the general public based on their definition, then I have a serious problem with their perspective.

I don't think they ever claimed to do that.

Olaf said:
...when I was a pupil and it was to see if I qualified for intellectual giftedness...

I remember the following conversation with my mother when I was about 11 years old:

I: Mom, am I gifted?

Mom: I'm sure you are, Dear, because we certainly wouldn't have paid for you.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

I: Mom, am I gifted?

Mom: I'm sure you are, Dear, because we certainly wouldn't have paid for you.
[rofl]

had to run around telling my co-workers that one....

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back