Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OFO Error during Backup, Not listed on Veritas Site 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmathis

MIS
Apr 25, 2001
US
A little help here would be much appreciated. I have a client who is having MULTITUDES of issues with Backup Exec 7.0, WinNT 4.0 SP6.

We though we got everything straightened out for her, then she received the following:
------------------------------------------------------------
Media Name: Media created 04/30/2001 11:00:04 PM"
Backup of "ATLR_PDC|D: "
Backup set #3 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Full BackUp"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 5/1/2001 at 2:04:37 AM.
OFO: Static file has grown to maximum size and cannot be incremented anymore.
OFO: Error during backup. Set has been aborted.

Backup completed on 5/1/2001 at 2:47:00 AM.
Backup up 91 files in 5 directories.
Processed 2,799,781,898 bytes in 42 minutes and 23 seconds
Throughput rate: 63.0 MB/min.
------------------------------------------------------------

Two questions basically, WHY are we getting this OFO error, and secondly, after it goes through the above here, it goes back to C:, then D:, and then G:.... we aren't understanding why it's starting with ATLR_PDC|D: FIRST!

Please help, much appreciated.

I had a similar problem on NT 2000. There is a formula to increase the static file size mentioned in Veritas Technote article #234668.
To calculate a rough estimate of how large of a static volume "Maximum" size a computer system can handle use the following formula.

(Amount of free RAM)MB / 0.04MB = (Max Static Volume size capable)MB

For the above equation the following steps must be completed to find the variable information to complete the equation.

1. To find out the amount of free memory in the system, bring up Task Manager and go to the "Performance" tab and under Physical Memory, look at the available memory (Figure 1).

Take a look at article. Good Luck.
Erhard

i also have a problem which resembles that one. I use BackUp Exec 8.5 for WIN2K. My error says

"OFO ERROR: Not enough hard disk space to create or incrament the static OFO file."

in the OFO wizard (i hate wizards) it asks "do you want to use the default location" or if you want to spicify a location. However if you name a new location, it won't ever work. "can not connect" or "share not found". It doesn't even tell you where your working directory is. Help.
joshua
happy.gif

I am also having the same problem as jslwh, i am running Backupexe v8.6 on windows 2k server no matter where i tell it to put this "static file" it will still cause me errors. if anyone has figured out what to do and how to solve this problem please let me know.
Thanks
JT

OFO defaults it's cache file to drive c:\ Find the drive with the most free space on the server that is having problems. Create a directory on the drive with the most free space "Call the directory OFO". Then run the OFO wizard and specify the cache file to go to that OFO directory you just created. Then modify your jobs to exclude the OFO directory from backup. This should give you more space for a cache file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back