Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offsite backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DESYAP

ISP
Mar 3, 2001
SG
Hi,

Currently we are trying to configure an offsite configuration using Networker, does anyone has any advise? Cloning seems to be out due to the long hours for that process. We have been suspecting the capability of Networker on their scheduling function, seems to have lots of limitation to it! Currently what we are doing is to setup 2 pools, one on each week and issue a skip if the group is inactive for the week, so that the tapes for the pool can be transported offsite. But the problem is that Networker will still look for the tapes even if you issue a skip, to backup it's bootstrap. Hence error will surface! Anyone has a better suggestion?

We created a script that, once a week goes through the media database, identifies all "Full" savesets, and then clones them to a separate pool. We initiate this script using WinAT (resource kit) on the weekend, and then by Monday morning the cloned tapes are ready to go offsite.

If you want details, let me know.

Bill
CNE, MCSE, CCNA, CCA, MCT, CCI

"I'd much rather be lucky than good"

I would be very interested in any details you have regarding scripts for cloning tapes for off site storage.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back