Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

offsite backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvinaya

Technical User
Mar 13, 2005
US
I am trying to set up offsite backup, I would like to know how to determine the number of tapes to assign to the second pool I will need to create after I create the second group.
I have an 8 tape autochanger and I am using one group to run a full back up every friday and incremental every day from satuday to thursday.
From reading other posts what is the better running an other full backup or a clone. Also how can I tell the tapes used for the offsite backup so I can remove them.
Thanks.

A clone is better as two backups are never exactly the same.

"savegrp -p" should be able to tell you how much data will be backed up. However, it will not tell you about the number of tapes as it does not know how compressible the data will be until it saves them.

You can use mminfo -s servername -q "savetime<today,near,pool=OffsitePool,!volrecycle" -r "barcode"
to list the tapes that are used to backup the data that needs to go offsite before the time u run this command. Then mark the tapes ROF(readonly full) using "nsrmm" and export the tapes and then use "mmlocate" to change the location field to reflect the current location of tapes eg: container/bin label.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
RV

Thanks for the replies.
will this work even if I don't have a barcode?
And is there a way to schedule this to happen at regular times (once every two weeks for example)?

A barcode is not necessary.

Yes, you may of course use an external scheduler to trigger the process or a script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back