Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline Synchronization not working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slr22

MIS
Jun 26, 2002
US
I am having problems with my offline synchronization. I am using Windows 2000, Outlook 2000 and have outlook configured for Exchange. We are running Exchange 5.5. When I try to sync manually or when exiting outlook it gives me an error message or it does not sync all of the emails. For example there will be 12 emails you can view, but it will only sync 4 of them. The error messages puts a log in the deleted items folder. This log looks like this:

13:03:22 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Mailbox Name'
13:03:22 Synchronizing Hierarchy
13:03:23 Synchronizing Favorites
13:03:23 Synchronizing Folder 'Inbox'
13:04:33 8 item(s) added to offline folder
13:04:33 2 item(s) updated in offline folder
13:04:33 Error synchronizing folder
13:04:33 [80004005-501-0-550]
13:04:33 The client operation failed.
13:04:33 Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
13:04:33 For more information on this failure, click the URL below:
13:04:33 13:04:33 Synchronizing Folder 'Outbox'
13:04:33 Synchronizing Folder 'Sent Items'
13:05:06 5 item(s) added to offline folder
13:05:06 Synchronizing Folder 'Calendar'
13:05:08 1 item(s) added to offline folder
13:05:08 4 item(s) updated in offline folder
13:05:08 Synchronizing Folder 'contacts'
13:05:08 Synchronizing Folder 'Drafts'
13:05:09 Synchronizing Folder 'Journal'
13:05:09 Synchronizing Folder 'Notes'
13:05:09 Synchronizing Folder 'Tasks'
13:05:09 Synchronizing Views
13:05:09 Done
13:05:10 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
13:05:10 Download successful

I went to the suggested link in this error log and I've tried everything that it tells you to do. I've deleted the .ost file so that it could recreate it. I have renamed the .dll files that it suggests and reinstalled office. I have even read article about the BackgroundScanning and changing that, but nothing I have tried works. If I copy all the inbox out of it and move it to another folder and copy each email individually and sync between each one, it works fine, but when I copy more then one at a time it sometimes gives me an error and sometimes works fine. If it gives me an error when I copy more then one email at a time, all I have to do is copy them back over to the newly created folder and copy them individually, then it works fine. Can anyone suggest anything that I might be able to try?

Thanks,
Sandy

I've already tired that and that didn't take care of it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sandy

You may have a corrupted outlook user profile. Delete the profile, recreate it and recreate the offline folder config.

Deleting the user profile and recreating it fixed it.

Thanks!

I have seen this on numerous machines and the only fix that I could find was, as mentioned already, to recreate the profile. The thing that bugs me is that this problem occurs on a number of machines I support for no apparent reason. Even after a new build and configuration, there is always a chance that the synchronisation will not occur as it should. XP doesn't seem to have this problem, and Outlook 98 certainly didn't. And it always seems to happen to users with mailboxes +1GB in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back