Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

offline outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

bshbsh

Technical User
Apr 11, 2007
US
I have exchange 2003 running on a Win2K3 domain environment. Everything runs fine, but sometimes some users' Outlook goes offline after failing to authenticate to the Exchange server.
My questions are,
- Why would that happen even though nothing has changed on Exchange or on the client and both can see each other, the domain et al.
- How can I prevent Outlook from going offline if does fail to authenticate? Is there a setting/policy on the Exchange/AD server that I can configure?
Please advice.
Thanks.

Are there any event log messages on the server or the clients at this time when the fail authentication? Maybe the server or the client have an issue that needs to be resolved.

I would try to find out why they occasionally fail to authenticate. Resolving that problem is likely the best solution since you resolve two things at once. If the authentication problem is resolved then they wont go off-line.

nedrudrelyt = tyler durden

Are users being prompted for credentials?
--> Yes. Is says "enter your info for the exchange server" in Outlook.

The event logs dont show anything in particular to this event. Also some of the client are part of the domain and some arent. But they all have AD accounts and can see the AD server. Again, it does work most of the times.

Thanks.

The password may need to be changed, try restting password and relogin.

I did reset the password.
Thanks.

I assume this happens for users that are not part of your domain. Make sure their local password matches the AD account password. The mismatch will prompt for authentication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back