Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

malshade

Technical User
Mar 14, 2005
US
I've got an issue with Offline Files. An old server that doesn't exist anymore is hanging around in the settings and still thinks it needs to be synched. How do I get rid of this old setting? I've tried disabling offline files, rebooting and turning the feature back on but it doesn't erase the old configuration. Help, this is annoying me!!

:D

Not sure if this is the synchronization your talking about but if it is theres a few steps in disabling it. First go to properties of internet explorer, click advanced, uncheck "enable offline files to be synchronized on a scheldule", next go to my computer, tools then folder options, click offline files, uncheck "enable offline files", hit apply and ok. Now go to start, programs, accessories, synchronize, uncheck that box then click close. Now uncheck mobsync from msconfig and it should stay unchecked next time you restart.

Let us know if this was your problem or if im way off base lol.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I've tried your suggestions. The old setting is still available but the operating system hasn't tried to sync with the old setting yet. *crossing fingers*

I guess the best way to show you what I'm dealing with would be a screen shot. Can I post one somewhere on this site?

Post the image on a website, you can use a free one such as freewebs or geocities and then post the link on here to it. This site has no image holders that I know of.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Here is a screenshot of what I've been trying to explain:

I removed the paths to protect the innocent. ;)

The bottom path, outside of the red circle, is the one we are using and want to keep. The 2 paths inside the red circle are the links that have stuck around despite my efforts to remove them. The OS continues to notify the user she is offline because one of the links points at a server which no longer exists.

I had the similar problem, with a path that had been deleted.
The only way I found to delete it was to recreate it, Resynchronise and then delete it.

My problem now is I got a bit carried away with regedit and deleted loads of keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Syncmgr\AutoSync\Netxxxx\LAN Connection

and don't know how to recreate them. I have tried adding new offline files, enabling and disabling offline files but these don't work. Anyone any Ideas?

hope this helps

John

Always backup your registry before making edits. You may now call me Capt. Obvious if you want.

As far as recreation is concerned, I cannot recreate both. One of the servers doesn't exist anymore. However, if I recreated the other link & synched how would I go about deleting it?

Thanks.

DesignInternational,

Did you try System Restore?

Maybe even the Winsock fix mentioned here?
WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Too late now, but for future use this program is a handy lifesaver.

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

How to use offline files in Windows XP

Thanks for the Ideas, I did do a System Restore? and it worked. Not sure why I didn't think of that myself.

malshade

If you can setup a path and fool offline sync to complete successfully you can then use the windows explorer - tools menu 'folder options' 'offline files' tab to view and delete the files and the path.

Not sure about the path on the other server - maybe you could rename a PC to be the same as old server name and try syncing with that.

best of luck

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back