Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline Files - Can they be moved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hey,

I'm trying to change the config of offline files. A user has a laptop with only 2Gb total space on C:, but on his D: theres 30Gb. Needless to say I have asked him to use just the D: for his personal data, games etc. The problem is that the user needs the documents from his network account stored as his "My Documents". I have setup the offline files/syncronisation but it seems that the files are put in the C:. This is a problem as he has huge files. Is there a reghack or something to change Windows from doing this?

Thanks,

Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

This should work.
Create and format a partition from the free space on the second hard disk. Mount the partition as the \Systemroot\My Documents folder. The contents of the current My Documents folder will be deleted, so move them first.

Corie

Use TweakUI to move the system folder, the registry will go along with that

Regards

-- AirCon --

Oops forgot to mention this. If you don't have it, you can download PowerToySetup from MS site. Sorry I don't remember the exact link

-- AirCon --

Sorry, i don't think I have explained it properly! The my documents folder are redirected to the server. The problem is the machine is a Win2k Laptop so I have enabled Offline files.
I know that the offline files reside on the C: somewhere, but I just don't know how to make Windows change the Directory to a different drive. (D:).

Thanks

Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

I believe it is a command called cachemove. i cant find anything about it but I seem to remember it in the 2k pro study guide.

I found it. It is cachemov.exe on the resource kit. I knew all that studying would come in handy one day!

Cheers, a star for you!

Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back