Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

A15

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2002
US
I am planning to do an offline defrag on a 46GB Priv1.edb
for the first time.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed and how long it mught take?? Its an HP dual xzeon 2.4 with 2GB of RAM .

Also, Does anyone have a good script for offline defrag that I can run once a week or once a month...

Thanks.

make a local copy of the db, then confirm you have an additional 100gig of free space (db x 2 plus). the last successful offline defrag I did was on a 16gig priv, took a 3+ hours on a 2x 3.2 xeon.

My last attempt failed - export to pst and import was required, painfull.

Hi,

It's more secured to make a backup of your DB before beginning.
You have to stop the information store (possible in batch command : net stop xxx).
After, go to the BIN directory and enter the command : eseutil /D
After successfull Off-line defrag, start the service (net start xxx).

I think all of the could be implemented in a batch file but, as Brian telled you, I think that you must put an item that check your free space before beginning the job.

Regards.
Arnaud.

I was thinking of usong the /t option to point the temp database to another H.D.

On another note what would you recomend to do when an IS gets this big (46GB)?

Is there another way except offline defrag??
Should I just keep buying bigger H.D??

Hi,

You could use the /t option if I have another disk.

For your IS DB, the only way to save space is off-line defrag.

As I remember, Exchange only accept DAS disk system, so I you have any place in your server, you could add other disks.

Also, you could tell users to implement PST files locally or an a file server. Or they could archive the old mails and delete them from the server (ex. mail before 2002). You could also make a backup of those mails on 2 tapes for security reasons and after, delete those old mails.

Regards.
Arnaud.

backup using whatever is normal for you. Take a copy of priv.* onto another drive / disk / server.

eseutil /t using a temp disk or even another server (I've done that historically).

Expect 6GB/hour on local disks. 4GB/hr using /t onto remote disks.

DON'T kill it as it won't be dead. Leave alone until prompt comes back.

[santa2]
Shop@ for Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back