Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

offline Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

supportahm1980

Technical User
May 30, 2006
US
I just wondering if I need to do anything else...worry about anything else when using eseutil

Here are my steps:

1) dismount exchange store
2) Stop AV products
3) CMD line: navigate to d:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin
4) run eseutil /d D:\progra~1\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb
5) Wait for complete, check logs. remount store.

Does anyone know how long this usually takes. Our edb is 27 gigs. And we have 31 gigs free space on that drive.

your running a bit tight on disk space. Just remember to let the defrag do its stuff don't interfere if it looks like its hanging. its hard to determine speed but 27 gig could take up to 5 hours. I had to defrag a 100 gig db and it took 24 hours

Just curious as to the need to defrag. badness is right, though, that's a tad short on the free space. You're not leaving much room.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I have freed up and additional 50 gigs so I have about 75 gigs free. Should I copy the edb file before beginning? The eseutil creates a temp database do I dont know if I need to do that?

just make sure you make a backup before the defreag. eseutil will only copy over the existing database when the defrag has completed successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back