Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline defrag of Exchange 5.5 DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovGateSucks

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
I've been battleing one of my exchange 5.5 servers for a while now. I only have 1.3Gs left on the partiton with the information store. I know i need to perform and offline defrag but it doesnt work. Someone told me it wont work because you have to have more free space on that partition than used space. I know in Exchange 2000 you have to have more free space because it makes a defragmented copy of itself and then deletes the old fragemented copy. Does 5.5 work the same way? I also heard that you can use switches to point the defrag util to another partition to use while defragmenting. If im correct about everything else how and what switches do i need to use? Please help ive looked everywhere, thanks.

Matt
USMC

Hi, you can use another Computer to defrag the database., but I'll be slower to do it via network. If you have a spare drive or a drive with a larger capacity , you can defrag the database on that drive.If you're going to do it via network, you can map a network drive using the Map network drive or the net use command: [ net use e:\Server_name\share_name

here is the procedure

defrag the private information store using the following:

E:\exchsrvr\mdbdata> eseutil /d /ispriv /t [x:\dbname.edb]

where:

/d is defrag mode
/ispriv tells eseutil to defrag the private information store
/tx: tells eseutil to use x: drive for temporary file storage
/t use this only if Drive E: has enough size to handle the temp database.
/tx:\dbname.edb use this only if you mapped a drive to another server/workstation and specify the name of the temp database.

ESEUtil will build a defragmented database on the temporary drive and once complete, will copy this file over to the e: drive. Again, it will take a bit of time for this to run.

Next, defrag the public information store:

e:\exchsrvr\mdbdata> eseutil /d /ispub /tx:dbname.edb

hope that helps.

Exchange 5.5 is the same, you need 110% of the size of the database you're defragging. I had to do this last night. You need to copy priv.edb or pub etc, eseutil.exe, ese.dll and exchmem.dll into a folder on that drive i.e. c:\exchtemp. then run the following eseutil /d ispriv /tc:\exchtemp\privtmp.edb. After eseutil has finished rename c:\exchtemp\priv.edb to privold.edb then rename privtmp.edb to priv.edb. Then delete priv.edb from your exchange server (keep the copy on the temp server just in case) then copy the new condensed priv.edb off from the temp server back to your exchange server into its original directory. Start the services and hay presto....

Also see the following article on - search for 244525 and 192185 and 255035 for better info on this...

Hope this helps, and good luck....

Thanks for the info guys. I wont be able to try them until next week though. Ill post my outcome. Thanx again.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back