Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline Data Collection Solution Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDIFIX

Programmer
Apr 28, 2003
DE
Hi community,

we are currently looking for a new solution for our offline data collection (primarily the scanning of spare parts leaving our warehouse). The old one is not supported anymore by the vendor.
An online soultion with SAPConsole is only 2nd choice as our R/3 is not 24/7 available. However our technicans do maintenance on vehicles and tracks for the tram 24/7. They report back what they have done, the time needed and the material consumption (barcode scanner).

Our requirements for the software are:

* offline data collection
* synchronization from the mobile devices with a server via WLAN or cradle
* synchronization of the server with our R/3 (Rel. 4.6c) by RFC/BAPI/iDOC/FLATFILE/...
* roughly 20 devices will be needed

We want to buy the core-software and a solution which meets >90% of our business transactions. Additionally we want the possibility to support the solution by ourselves so that we are not forced to look for an other solution (like we do now). The develompent/modifications of the applications should easy as well.

The SAP Mobile Engine is oversized for our needs. So we are looking for a small 3rd Party solution.

Does anybody here knows a solution which meets our requirements or do we have to develop everything by ourselves from the scratch?

TIA, EDIFIX

Small as $20k for the server side software and $200 per user (client)?

Marius Vermeulen
SAP Mobile Solutions Expert

The price seems to be OK.
The most important thing is that we can do the maintenance for the solution.
There should be no need for external consultants.

Andreas Weiland aka EDIFIX

EDIFIX:

I do not know if you have done anything with this but have you considered an approach using .Net and PocketPC. I have successfully developed a batch based application which is integrated to SAP. The .net architecture is extremely flexible. My application allows me to complete terminal level validation and asynchronous posting to SAP. I know that you are looking for a self-supporting solution so this may fit the bill.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back