Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office2000 pst 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbrick

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
I'm finishing up a torturous re-install of W2000 including all updates. I reinstalled Office2000 including its updates (which are not easy to find at MS, btw), but I can't get it to use the old .pst file to recover my old messages and stuff. It is a good file (checked with SCANPST, etc), not read only, and my attempt is mostly to use file - open - personal.... file, search for the correct .pst file in the correct user (with administrator privilege) profile, put <filename> in the file box, and open. There's a few clicks of the drive, then nothing.

Once earlier when I first "corrected" office2000 I got a outlook screen that asked for the location of the personal file, went to it and actually got it in the outlook window. However the continuation of that process led me to a screen that asked if I wanted internet mail only or internet plus Exchange email. I never use Exchange go I checked "internet only". Big mistake. I found that really makes Uncle Bill mad. The continuation said Outlook would have to close and then I could restart it. I could not. I found in forums a way I could edit the Registry to get Outlook to start again, but I just uninstalled and re-installed off the CD, and that's where I am now.

Anyone know how I can reinstate my .pst file?

Thanks

Rod B.

Ya know there are tons of other web pages that take great care to say Do Not Import; Use File-Open... But at your suggestion the Import works just fine -- all is home safe!

I've tried Import before; I'm guessing that my absent-minded mistake was not typing in the file name in the file box window. In everything else that I know when you click on the filename in the directory/file listing window it automatically goes into the file selection window. In these Outlook processes, that is not true.

Thanks tons!

Rod B.

Just for fun, below is a copy from Microsoft public Forums from a [MVP]

"Don't import but connect to the file via
File-> Open-> Personal Data File...

If that doesn't work either, check the file for errors with scanpst.exe."

Rod B.

Glad you're sorted.

Remember to backup your Outlook data frequently - losing email addresss, calendar entries and important messages is right pain.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back