Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office XP hangs when trying to save to another directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzard7

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2003
US
When I try to save in Office XP it hangs up. When I click on "save in" to find where I want to save the file, it takes a minute or more to finally pull down where to save to.

Have had a similar problem before turned out not to be an office problem,it was the heat sink fan on my cpu which was loose and hanging the system when trying to perform tasks such as selecting a directory from the save as dialog box. Once I fixed the fan I had no more problems.

Hope this was some help.

Comboy

This only happens with Office XP products. I don't have any problems saving in any other programs. This problem is on more than one computer.

Hi Buzzard,

Are we up to date with our virus definitions?

Sounds a lot like one of the problems off the blaster virus! (not that it is that offcourse)

A more probable reasen in the faqt that you're window's tempfolder is Full! (Office needs at least the size of the file as available memory/space to save a file)

Look it up:
Find and Select C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\local settings\temp
and delete all files in there.

They are often left behind by installing programs but Office needs the space.

Good Luck!
P.s, while this is a problem on many computers it's proberbly the Temp folder....a lot of people forget to clean it out once in a while

Regards,
Joost Verdaasdonk

I ran a virus scan and the computer was clean. It is also up to date. I cleaned out the temp folder for all the users. I still have the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back