Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office Xp courrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danp123

Technical User
May 24, 2003
GB
I recently got office XP, it was working brilliantly all the shortcuts working etc. but when i removed the network logon along with my profiles i seemed to have some of the shortcuts all of the programs but they dont seem to allocate to each other. I have run defrag and scandisk to no avail so i tried add/remove programs to see if there was a repair function instead it tries to access the floppy???? then comes with a message that says "this patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you xan access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package.' i even tried downloading windows installer (the prog) but that gives the same message the shortcuts all point to the profile that no longer exists and i am afraid i have no backups is there any hope for me, even the cd brings up the same message about that patch package

My guess would be that either Office XP was installed off the network or was configured to look at the network for one of its updates. As a consequence, the loss of your network login caused the program and the installer to lose a component it needs to work. I would try getting this machine back on the network, long enough to uninstall. You can then re-install directly off the CD and perform any updates without any reference to the server. Hope this helps.

the pc was never on a network it just has the windows login screen so i could stop my kids messing with the files sorry for any misinterpretation

Office XP installs for a specific user. When you removed your profiles, you removed the 'user' who was authorized to access Office and it's installer. I would try replacing the profile of the user you were logged in as when you originally installed Office XP. With luck, the Office installer will see that it's YOU again and allow you to uninstall completely. Then, you can remove the profile and run the installation from the start as an Administrator.

If that doesn't work, try running a REPAIR using the command line option within setup. A full list of the command line options are available in the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 283686. Hopefully, that will do it.

how do i put the variuos commands in the command line

Click START | RUN, choose the SETUP.EXE file from the CD and then add the commands you need as it's stated in the article. For example, to do an administrative install, you'd type:

D:\SETUP.EXE /A

i tried admin install all the files copied and then they wouldnt load the setup.exe installer how would i se the /f<options><package path> commands these should repair any errors

Windows Installer
This patch package could not be opend. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package
Is the message i get

Make sure the CD is in the drive (and that the drive letter is correct and put in the full path to the file as well:

D:\setup.exe /focums D:\ProPlus.msi

D = CD Drive letter
D:\ = Path to PROPLUS.MSI on CD

If that doesn't work, open the CD and check that the MSI file is truly PROPLUS.MSI. Depending on the version of Office XP that you have, it could be different. If it's different, substitute PROPLUS.MSI with the real MSI filename.

i still get the windows istaller message when i go to do this, i have tried running the windows installer updateer and it works but then when i go to the cd it wont work!!!
WHY
could my antivirus or firewall cause any of these problems, the cd is origional so i dont need to worry about authenticity

Try running the setup directly from the CD. If you still get that message, it usually indicates that the CD you are using is NOT the CD that you originally used to install Office. I've had that happen to me, since I work with several other technicians and we all have our own CD. Even though it's an original CD, the installation will look for the EXACT CD used.

Antivirus might be an issue, so I would disable it before trying any install. Firewall shouldn't be an issue. To be sure, I would disable any and all programs that are running before trying the installation. Office will put things in the startup that may be interfering now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back