Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2000
US
Here's yet another quirky one. Office 2000. Trying to install it on a Windows2000 server for 1 user to access through Terminal Services. The installation starts, but soon errors out with the following message:

Error 1926
Could not set the file security for the file 'c:\config.msi\' . error 5. Verify that you have sufficient priveledges to modify the security permissions for this file.

I'm logged in as administrator, and the file config.msi does not exist on the server anywhere? Any thoughts on this?
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

I ran into this problem numerous times. Basically, if the computer is on a network. Under the login, instead of your Domain name as the name of the domain why not change it to the computer's name and login as administrator.

For example: (If your domain is called MIS and computer name is test2, then under the login, The Domain should have a combo box, within the combo box should have the name of your computer and domain name, select the name of the coputer which is Test2) and then login as administrator and password..

Hope this helps...

I'll give it a try.
Thanks
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

Well, it was a good try but it didn't work. Any other thoughts?
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

Is the computer connected to the network? If so, the only solution I have is the same as the last one I gave.. Basicaly, donot login to the Domain but to computer itself...

I don't know what else to say... :)

Well, thanks for the suggestions. I did log on to the PC itself instead of the domain, but to no avail. I was able to load Office 97 but it wouldn't upgrade from there either...:(
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

The answer is in login locally not on the network. Did I misunderstand that you tried to upgrade to Office 2K from Office 97?

I am not sure if the Terminal Services server setup makes any difference but I don't think so.

I've logged on locally, even at the server, not through remote. It didn't make a difference. Don't really know what the problem is. All the logs are ambiguous as to the problem. I did try to upgrade from 97 but that failed the same way. I can't seem to find anything out about the errors...it's a mystery lol
Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

I have the same problem trying to uninstall logitech webcam express (earliy edition). after upgrading the device driver I was no longer able to use my webcam properly. trying to use the mic I get error that system does not support compression. althought this digresses from the main topic when trying to uninstall the webcam I get error 1926 as above and I am unable to uninstall or reinstall the webcam. The webcam works but not near the way it used to before the install. I also have MS latest SP which does not help either. rookieatit@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back