Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office Installation/Group Policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmanuel29

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2006
US
Hello, I am trying to Install Office 2007 through GP. I have created a GPO called Office Installation in which I created the software link. (Computer configuration --> software settings --> software installation --> \\Server\Folder\office mui.msi Then I also created an OU in which I moved the computers that I wanted Office in. I rebooted the machines but nothing happened. I want to know if I am missing any steps or anyone has any ideas. I will really appreciate it.

I think you have to publish or advertise the application (not sure of the actual terminology). I don't remeber off the top of my head but there are two ways to deploy and application. One way installs the app during the next re-boot, the other places a shortcut in the start menu and does not actually install the application until the first time the user clicks to use it...

Make sure the machines have permissions to access the share in which you have located the MSI. Easiest and quickest way to do so is create a security group add all the PC's you want to deploy to and then reboot the PC.

What I would also do is since you think you have everything squared away is to do a gpupdate /force on the machines that you moved to that OU. I know that after I setup deployed installs I always do that just to make sure it works right away.

I know force refreshes every policy and not just the affected but I like the overkill...

Good luck!

I would also take a look at Marks office deployment FAQ it hasn't been updated to cover 2007 yet but the procedure is pretty much the same.

faq96-4996

What do you mean by setting permissions to the share folder???
Do the user need to be added to the security group to be able to access the files??? Isn't the server pushing out the files by the Group Policy Object??? I am still looking for a solution since the policy is still not working.

Group policy isn't a push technology it's a pull technilogy, the PC's will download the GPO then look for the share with the software in. If it doesn't have access the install will fail, 'read' share permissions for the Authenticated Users group should do the trick.

Authenticated users do have read permission to the share.

The machine accounts need access to the share where the package is. GP Software installation is done at machine boot - not after the user logs in

No, porkchopexpress I have not been successful on installing anything via group policy.

I have deployed Office 2003 SP2 and Adobe Reader 8.0 successfully several times.

Copy installation files to a folder and share the folder. Make sure the folder has at least Read rights for users.

Create a GPO for software Installation. Make sure the path to the .msi file is \\server\share\.msi

Link that GPO to an OU

Move PCs into the linked OU.

Either log into the PC and run gpupdate /force from a command line or log in and reboot the PCs twice.

Works like a charm for me

Porkchopexpress gave you the link, here it is again FAQ96-4996.

Refer also to my FAQs in the vbscript forum for other tips with working with GPOs.

faq329-5798
faq329-6116

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Ok. I finally got GP to deploy office to the client machine and start installing office 2007 when I rebooted the client machine. However, Office did not install. I went into the server event viewer and it had an application error 1713. I read that you cannot install directly from the .msi is that correct?? Then how should it be done.

Also, does Acrobat reader 8.0 have an .msi ???

The Adobe Customisation Wizard is the tool you are looking for.

thread733-1322744

Does anybody know about the 1713 error message that I get when deploying office 2007 via GP. The machines gets the GPO and starts installing but it does not install after all due to that error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back