Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office error message when starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobolito

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2003
US
My Office 2003 Professional was working just fine. However, a couple of days ago when I try to start any Office application (Word, Excel, etc.), a setup box comes up "gathering information" and then an error message shows saying "Error 25090. Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office Source Engine, system error: -2147024703. Please open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM and look for "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.

In that file, it says the error can be solved by starting the ose.exe service or by re-installing Office. Needless to say, I tried starting ose.exe from the services window and it said it cannot start. I then tried re-installing Office using the repair option and then re-installing Office altogether and none of these worked. The same error message came up:
"Error 25090. Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office Source Engine, system error: -2147024703. Please open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM and look for "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.

What else can I try?

Have you tried totally uninstalling Office first and then installing from scratch instead?

Ok, I tried that and re-installed just fine. So it works ok now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back