Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Office Clipboard--from Excel to Word-- text only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTP

Technical User
Jan 4, 2003
US
It seems like I used to be able to do this...

I am copying data from Excel to Word. I want to pate text only into the Word document but I end up pasting the cell. How do I paste text only from Excel to Word? I am on Office 2000 at this location but typically work on Office XP. Is this a change from 2000 to XP or do i need to tweak some settings in 2000 to allow this?

Hi,

Edit/Paste Special -- some TEXT selection

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]To be safe on the FOURTH, don't take a FIFTH on the THIRD, or...
You might not come FORTH on the FIFTH! [bomb][tongue][/sub]

Okay- I'm a dork. What I forgot to mention in my original post is that I am copying large amounts of data and am using the office clipboard. It's when I paste from the clipboard that I am not able to get text only.

Edit/Paste Special

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]To be safe on the FOURTH, don't take a FIFTH on the THIRD, or...

Maybe I'm not understanding your response. I clarified in my last reply that I am a dork and forgot to mention that my question really pertains to the office clipboard feature of the Office suite.

I tried Edit/Paste Special and I did not see an option to make text only the default action for the office clipboard. What it did do was to paste the last selection on the office clipboard as text only... but I want this to be the default action for the clipboard itself so that all I have to do is click on the item in the office clipboard and have it paste text only.

You do not see
[tt]
Formatted text
Unformatted text
[/tt]
as two of the options in Word after you Copy in Excel?

Skip,
[sub]

I did see that and I selected Unformatted Text. This resulted in the last item on the office clipboard being pasted into the word document as unformatted text... which is what I wanted. However, it did not paste the previous 11 items on the office clipboard as unformatted text. When I went back to the office clipboard to paste them into the Word document, they were pasted as cells.

Are you saying that the only way to do this is to not use the office clipboard and paste each one individually by using the Edit|Paste Special option? Sorry if I misunderstood you if that was your intended response.

It seems that I used to be able to paste text only using the office clipboard alone.

I't the only way that I know.

Skip,
[sub]

You can also paste it as tabular data and then use 'Convert table to text' within word. But 'Paste Special' is probably better.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back